The Sleepy Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sleepy Severn

I joined three Snaggedline members for an early morning launch at Jonas.

The best thing for me about the trip was this view of the rising sun over calm water:

P1020272.jpg

I managed a Severn Slam -- striper, perch and pickerel. But that was it. Three fish in 3 hours!

Here's the pick:

P1020273.jpg

It hit a 1/8 oz. jig spinner that I cast in one of the tribs. It nailed my lure boat side. I didn't even have the fun of playing it on a long line.

My striper was 15 inches. I caught it while trolling a white 1/2 oz. bucktail in about 5 to 6 feet of water not far from the USNA Bridge. No photo because I thought it would be the first of many. Wishful thinking...

My white perch was only 8 inches and it bit the same spinner that attracted the pickerel albeit in a different trib.

So I traveled pretty far trolling and visiting two tributaries of the Severn for 3 fish.

The lack of a good Severn bite remains a mystery. The fish are there according to my FF. But they are hugging the bottom in 20 plus feet of water.

I believe my companions also faced a tough bite and boated only one legal fish between them.

I hope the Jonas area of the river wakes up soon. My recent trips there are putting me to sleep!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I launched from JG with Mark and Keith McCray and head north for some topwater action. Had a few tap along the old railroad bridge but no hookups. Started trolling north along the shoreline in 10-15 ft of water. Just north of the Rt 50 bridge I turned into a cove and got a 20" fat Rock. That was it for the morning. I agree with Mark, where is the bite?
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

My plans changed at 6:45 this morning. I had planned to fish on a friend's boat. As I approached his home in the dark, he texted me to say he had an emergency and could not go today. I drove home and swapped out my boat clothing and tackle for my kayak and kayak fishing gear. Then I headed to Jonas Green to join Mark, John, and Keith. They were already scattered in different directions.

I trolled 4 rods for 6 miles over 2.5 hours (Jonas Green to river mouth and back). My catch for today was six stripers smaller than 12" and one plastic bag. Other than the exercise, this was not a productive morning. I saw loads of bait along the channel edge. The fish arch marks around the bait were mostly below 15' depth. I ran heavier lures on two of my rods but apparently did not go deep enough to interest those fish. Lures of 1.5 to 2 oz or deep diving plugs might get the job done. Those techniques are outside of my fishing comfort zone. Perhaps another Snaggedline member will have better success.

All three of us salved our wounds by eating a tasty Chinese lunch buffet at the Canton. The ladies who work there recognize us now and always ask us if we have been fishing. Our usual waitress likes us (in part because we brought her some perch several times this summer) and always brings us special cookies at the end of the meal.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I went to Spriggs Farm today instead. Plenty of fish, with numerous schools running around. Only managed one keeper out of maybe 20-25 fish. Couple close to 18 and the rest dinks. Chased gulls all day and fish were under them every time just couldn't get anything of size. Fish were in 15 foot of water but trolling shallow seemed the most productive

BTW. There is planned trip for Ft. Smallwood tomorrow if anyone wants to try again. See here.
        http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ed-10-am/page2.
        Yes I know it says Beverly Triton but has morphed into a Smallwood trip

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
          ...I agree with Mark, where is the bite?
          Evidently it's in the Magothy!

Congrats to DonV and Magothyman for finding them...big ones too.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

You'll have better luck next time Mr. Mark....
            Had some friends go out at Weems Creek today and move up river into the Severn working the deeper spots from the Bridge up into the
            Severn with great success. Lots of bait fish up there, and into the creeks.

Comment

Hope to have better luck at ft. Smallwood today!

Comment

I had even worse luck. Nothing. But, lots of leaves and stuff in the water, I'm wondering if that is driving the fish down/away??? Every spot that has worked for me in the past, produced nothing. But, lots and lots of marks. I was wondering if the marks were leaves????

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                  ...But, lots and lots of marks. I was wondering if the marks were leaves????
                  Leaves don't show that telltale orange inverted "U". But I have seen stratified dark marks on the screen which I presumed were leaves and debris.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
                    You'll have better luck next time Mr. Mark....
                    Thank you. But jeez, I feel old now.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X