Lots of catching on the Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of catching on the Patapsco

Launched at first light on slick calm water, hoped to get a morning topwater bite, but no birds or surface action in sight. Put out a 5" z man on a 3/4 oz and a 6" twister tail on 1 oz heads. Hooked up within 15 minutes of trolling on the z-man, 21" fish. I was making a day of fishing so let him go. For the next 2 hours I caught over 2 dozen fish in the 16 to 24 inch class, lots of doubles, probably on of the most action packed days i've had in a kayak. The catching was so good I would change baits on one rod to see if there was something the fish wouldn't eat, didn't matter. Bait was thick; balls that showed up as false bottom on the FF. I was clearing snagged menhaden off my baits alot.

Around 11 there was a slack in the breeze and I saw a large group of birds working a couple hundred yards from me. This section of the river, I usually only find schoolie fish under birds, but I saw some tremendous splashes and decided to check it out. Tossing bone spook into the fray of birds hooked up with nearly every cast, the fish where so thick I would feel them hitting the Mirage fins. The blow ups were great to watch and casting for awhile gave me a nice break from pedaling. Caught up to 22" fish on topwater then the wind picked back up and the bite died down.

Boat traffic combined with the wind told me it was time to head in. Picked up a couple more sub legal fish heading back to the ramp. All said and done must caught over 40 fish in 6 hours on the water, a huge change from the summer of dinks in the river. Brought home one 23" and a 20", the 20" had gotten deep hooked early in the day and probably wasn't going to make it . Had a good dinner last night.IMG_1691[1].jpg

I talked with owners of too separate boats while I was loading up who were skunked. I noticed broom sticks/tld's with parachutes/tandems. They were amazed I was catching on "those tiny baits". Made me appreciate the stealth of a kayak.

Nice job man, I drove away from the Patapsco for the Magothy and caught way less. Guess I'll sticking to around home.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Great report and congrats on a sweet day!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great report. It can be entertaining to outfish the guys in expensive boats. Jigheads and paddletails or twister tails get the job done.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I decided to give the Patapsco a go this afternoon, and I'm glad I did. Not nearly as many quality fish, but I did bring home one 24". Lots of schoolies, one after another under the birds. Heard a lot of boat chatter on the radio, most reported no keepers. Fish tacos tonight!
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Great report!! Congrats on your getting into them - especially the topwater. Gotta get up there soon.
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Cool. Were you north or south of key bridge?
              John
              Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

I stayed well south of the bridge after the boat traffic picked up mid morning. There were boats trolling and jigging near the bridge, couldn't see if they were catching or not though. This is only my second year spending a substantial amount of time on the river, but I've had success all over.

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerTech View Post
                  I stayed well south of the bridge after the boat traffic picked up mid morning. There were boats trolling and jigging near the bridge, couldn't see if they were catching or not though. This is only my second year spending a substantial amount of time on the river, but I've had success all over.
                  This will be my first full year this December trying to make the Patapsco my home fiield because I'm only about 20 minutes from Armistead. Did well this winter but haven't fiqured out the summer and fall pattern. Thanks for your info
                  John
                  Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Thanks for the report. I'll be hitting the Patapsco again soon.

Comment

A few of us went out of Smallwood on Wednesday and had a bit of fun with fish in the high teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like an awesome day!! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                        X