Report from the slower lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report from the slower lower

Old guys report- hit the water at 2 pm Wednesday...dragging a 6 inch tsunami sand eel on my 3000 outfit with 10# braid rigged with 2 feet of 20# floro leader- the other outfit (2500) had a 1/4 oz pink Gulp swimming mullet- trolled to the mouth of St. Jerome's and picked up two stripers on the way to the flats- both on the eel...18-19 inch fish...tide was running out when I got there- no one was fishing but me- not a soul in sight...tossed a 5 3/4 inch tsunami popper (3000 outfit) and was hooked up on the first cast- fishing was fast and furious for the next hour then turned off as quickly as it started...nada on top water, so I switched back to trolling- picked up 6 nice fish on the eel and two on the swimming mullet after the top water bite was over- as I have a full freezer and the wife does not eat fish- it was a catch and release day for me...most fish were in the 19-22 inch size, but there were a couple of 25-27 inch fish mixed in..the eel was the ticket trolling...back home at 6:30...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Nice report Ron. Glad to see SCJ still got some MOJO left. Big Mike and I hit the Piney Point Bridge at 7am and only got carbon copy 15" inchers, no big Dawgs

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

That sounds like a good day to me!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
        Nice report Ron. Glad to see SCJ still got some MOJO left. Big Mike and I hit the Piney Point Bridge at 7am and only got carbon copy 15" inchers, no big Dawgs

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
        Yeah, the bigger fish were at the peak flow of the tide coming across the flats in 4 FOW- 6 FOW- nothing- no hits- nothing...2.5 FOW 19 inch fish scattered- 4- 4.5 FOW loaded, wall to wall fish stacked up slamming your bait blowing it out of the water- strange that they were so tightly packed in one strip of water and no birds...seldom see any indication the fish were there until you worked the popper across it, then BOOM! Solid one hour of catch and release as fast as you could...

Comment

Those tsunami sand eels can be killer in the surf in the fall too. I've never tried them trolling. Might have to dig one out of the tackle box next time just to try. Thanks for sharing.
          Brian

Comment

thanks for the report Ron... always love hearing your adventures....
            I haven't made my way down south this year... been on the other side of the pond mostly...
            But I really love your part of the country when I do get there..
            Much love have a great winter.

Comment

Thanks- come on down- been blowing a gale off and on about every other day- moon phase and tides are all wrong for a while- fishing will suffer, but in a week or so the stars align again for a possible good top water bite just before dark...soon the big deep diving crank baits come out and it is all about finding the hungry fish- 35-50 FOW trolling edges of channels is the ticket then...

Comment

Hit St. J today, wind and tide working in tandem made it really hard to fish the inlet. Got one keeper but it had some nasty sores so back it went. Probably 15 fish in 2 1/2 hours, most mid teens. I am completely spent right now, it was exhausting to come back into the inlet for each pass. No top water action today.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Wow, Mike- winds were gusting to 33 knots- I know the inlet was rough- hardcore fisherman...

Comment

Working...
                  X