A Sea Hawk & 30+ Specks in Rudee Oct 25, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sea Hawk & 30+ Specks in Rudee Oct 25, 2016

I also packed few speck tackles as the strong wind continuously preventing us from the open water fishing for several days. I went to Rudee, the primary backup water instead of CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel due to the strong wind forecast.
    I launched at 8 AM and fished for specks for 5 hours. The wind wasn't strong at all as predicted, and the Specks were there waiting for me. It seemed that bigger specks came in overnight and stayed until 11 PM.
    I had many doubles while trolling. Only two specks were caught by casting. I hooked an osprey (sea hawk). Before the osprey,I had de-hooked 4 birds. I hooked three birds while kayak-fishing and one was found on the street. The osprey was the 5th bird I dealt with and I knew exactly what I needed to do.

At 01:29 you will see an osprey in the sky above tree line.
    At 01:37 you will see the osprey grabbing my speck. It took me about 20 minutes to release the osprey.

I caught over 30 specks at 14" - 22" and a small puppy drum.

Fishing Log:

Thank you
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-27-2016, 07:14 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Joe,

Good job on the osprey release.

You don't realize how large they are when you see them circling high above.

Most of ours near Annapolis have departed by now. I miss seeing them and hearing their calls. But I hope I never have one in my boat.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Dude, that osprey release was awesome. Keeping it's head covered seemed to be the key, clearly not your first time. I have no idea what I'd do in that situation, hopefully I would be as calm as you were. The fishing looks like it couldn't be much better, can't imagine landing that many specks at once. Very good report and video.

Comment

Way to keep a cool head! A gull or duck is one thing, I would have freaked to bring that osprey into the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          Dude, that osprey release was awesome. Keeping it's head covered seemed to be the key, clearly not your first time. I have no idea what I'd do in that situation, hopefully I would be as calm as you were. The fishing looks like it couldn't be much better, can't imagine landing that many specks at once. Very good report and video.
          It was my fifth bird.. I figured out how to catch specks in Rudee. troll/cast edge line between 5' - 11'. The Mirro-Lure on the video, 52MR21 is the best in Rudee

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by jhov02 View Post
            Way to keep a cool head! A gull or duck is one thing, I would have freaked to bring that osprey into the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I have 15 cuts/punctures on my hands because of the talons.

Joe

Comment

You should add bird magnet to your list of skills Joe I'm thankful that I haven't had to deal with a hooked bird yet.

Minh
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Beautiful specks!
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                  I have 15 cuts/punctures on my hands because of the talons.

Joe
                  I bet!! Never thought I'd ever hear someone say "I had a double And a bird!" LOL

Great video as usual Joe

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                  X