Rectangle Hatch Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectangle Hatch Installed

So today was the day I decided to go for it. Now I cannot wait for my bucket to arrive in the mail to complete this wonderful upgrade. Im pretty certain im gonna buy the tackle tray organizer too for other outings but man let me start of by saying. Placement is key for the Styrofoam inserts. When I initially began fishing and standing on this kayak I noticed some sponginess to the standing area AKA the center hatch. This in turn also made me hesitant about cutting a bigger hole and inserting the rectangular hatch because I figured if the circle was spongy the square would be too. I was wrong and I am so glad I made the leap of faith. the major difference is that I removed all the foam from inside which is required to make the upgrade anyway, but when I reinstalled them in the correct positions I immediately noticed the spongy feeling was gone and the new hatch/platform are seemingly rock solid. granted I wasn't able to stand on it I was just applying pressure, it was definitely a noticeable difference. I urge you all to check your foam positioning if you have any doubts. absolutely cannot wait to get on the water again soon.

H1.jpgH2.jpgH3.jpgH4.jpgH5.jpg
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

Nice! Have been thinking about this for a while now... You certainly give me some encouragement.
    Are you referring to the sponges that are tucked close to the Mirage drive well?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You did an excellent installation.

That will give you a much larger storage area.

However, will your legs get in the way as you try to open it? The reason I ask is that in my much narrower Revo, my legs slightly impede my access to my normal round hatch. I keep things in it I rarely need as a result -- license, first aid, leader spool. Sometimes I kick both of my feet over the side to open my hatch. Just curious if that will be an issue for you with the larger door. Regardless the extra storage conveniently located in front of you will be welcome.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I will surely reply when i try. Im not sure yet. I have seen it installed longways also but did not desire that. I dont see it being an issue for me personally im not very large and get around well for now..but we shall see... yes referring to the sponges inside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I also installed the square hatch on my Outback and it is one of the most used features on my boat now. I have the tackle tray if you want to purchase off of me, but the bucket is the way to go. You can still stack two of the medium Plano watertight boxes in there, plus more if necessary. I usually keep one medium and one smaller box plus my downrigger stuff. One other mod I would recommend is go buy some cheap foam matting and glue to the bottom of your bucket. I have done the same thing with the bottom, sides and lid of my blackpak and it really cuts down on the noise getting things in and out.

In answer to the comment regarding access issues, I have not experienced any. Yes you have to bow your legs out enough to open the hatch, but I keep my seat in the highest position and have no issues with clearance.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
            I also installed the square hatch on my Outback and it is one of the most used features on my boat now. I have the tackle tray if you want to purchase off of me, but the bucket is the way to go. You can still stack two of the medium Plano watertight boxes in there, plus more if necessary. I usually keep one medium and one smaller box plus my downrigger stuff. One other mod I would recommend is go buy some cheap foam matting and glue to the bottom of your bucket. I have done the same thing with the bottom, sides and lid of my blackpak and it really cuts down on the noise getting things in and out.

In answer to the comment regarding access issues, I have not experienced any. Yes you have to bow your legs out enough to open the hatch, but I keep my seat in the highest position and have no issues with clearance.
            If the boxes fit ill save my $$ and just buy them.. thanks for the heads up.. really looking forward to hityin the water soon i need too asap

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

My PA came standard with a square hatch. Love the easy storage, and I'm sure you'll love yours. Now if only I could figure out some way to make the rear hatch useful on the water...
              I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              Garmin Echomap 93sv
              RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

haha no doubt. I use my rear hatch to hold my car keys and my wallet, that's about all its good for since they are useless on the water.
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                  Now if only I could figure out some way to make the rear hatch useful on the water...
                  I use mine for this:

C.jpg

I think it's perfect for that function.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    I use mine for this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20301[/ATTACH]

I think it's perfect for that function.
                    I also use mine for the battery. It gets it out of the way and makes the other hatches more available for other things

-Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                      I also use mine for the battery. It gets it out of the way and makes the other hatches more available for other things

Yep- me too- exact same battery setup on the Lady Luck- and I ordered two of the 12V9aHr batteries- keep one in the boat and swap it out after every trip recharging the used one for the next trip- always have a fresh battery- and they are not expensive- I think I paid $25 apiece for the batteries with free shipping from Amazon
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-28-2016, 12:06 PM.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I just turned my rectangle hatch into a livewell

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

https://youtu.be/J9fEqGp5liI

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                            https://youtu.be/J9fEqGp5liI

is someone playing ping pong in the background?
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                              is someone playing ping pong in the background?
                              No?

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                              X