Plunging water temps and their effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunging water temps and their effect

The current cold snap/wind has lowered Bay water temps dramatically just in the last week. As of this morning at Thomas Point, the surface water temp is down to 62 degrees F.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/mobile/stat...?station=tplm2

At what temperature point does the shoreline/shallow water action stop? Is there a specific temp, or are other seasonal factors involve?

Also, since I currently do not have the requisite dry suit, I have a general rule not to go out when the water gets below sixty. So, unless I invest in fairly expensive cold water gear, my season is quickly coming to a close.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
    At what temperature point does the shoreline/shallow water action stop? Is there a specific temp, or are other seasonal factors involve?
    I believe factors beyond merely temperature are involved. Last year, for example, we had prolonged series of stormy weather days in the fall -- a tropical storm that pushed and kept a lot of bait into the creeks and tributaries of the major waterways. The stripers stayed in those tribs in the shallow water well into November and even into December.

This year has been different. We have largely ducked tropical depressions and high winds have not been blowing water into the tribs.

I noticed yesterday in a Severn trib that the presence of baitfish breaking the surface was nearly non-existent. I still got a few stripers but they were smaller than those present last year and not as numerous.

As an aside I would also suggest that you do not have to invest in expensive outer clothing to stay on the water into the fall. We each have own comfort level and risk level, but with proper caution and common sense (using the techniques that have been discussed on this forum often) you can fish in the tribs safely well into the fall. That's my belief. I'm not trying to persuade you to do something you are uncomfortable with.

Yesterday I wore my dry pants for the first time since the spring. They were plenty sufficient to keep me dry and warm. But of course, I kept the wet side of my boat down. That's where precaution and common sense comes into play. That alone is not foolproof, because accidents can happen, but it goes a long way.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-26-2016, 09:37 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for your expertise Mark. There is warmer weather in its way tomorrow, so maybe the baitfish will cooperate and head back into the shallows. Strong, sustained northwest winds for days are the bane of all Chesapeake fishermen, not just kayakers. Shawn Kimbro was lamenting this in a tournament that wasn't cancelled last weekend with a rare skunk from his boat.

I had two bad experiences in my youth with cold water, and frankly I am lucky to still be here from both. The first one was falling thru the ice on Yantz Cove close to where I grew up. I was four or five years old and skated off near the inlet and away from the adult supervision. Luckily, a couple of teenagers heard me yelling, got some long branches and fished me out.

The second time I was sailing with a good friend on Round Bay in mid Apil in a small 14' sloop with a cockpit. We were about 14 years old. The water temps are in the 40's then. The wind came up big time and we could not stop taking on water. We capsized in the middle of Round Bay! If a boat had not come when it did, we both would have been toast for certain.

So, everyone is different when it comes to cold water. Maybe I am extra cautious, but I've been VERY lucky twice with getting dunked over my head in VERY cold water. No matter how much experience one has as a swimmer or whatever, only luck is what saved me twice.

Comment

Thanks for your expertise Mark. There is warmer weather in its way tomorrow, so maybe the baitfish will cooperate and head back into the shallows. Strong, sustained northwest winds for days are the bane of all Chesapeake fishermen, not just kayakers. Shawn Kimbro was lamenting this in a tournament that wasn't cancelled last weekend with a rare skunk from his boat.

I had two bad experiences in my youth with cold water, and frankly I am lucky to still be here from both. The first one was falling thru the ice on Yantz Cove close to where I grew up. I was four or five years old and skated off near the inlet and away from the adult supervision. Luckily, a couple of teenagers heard me yelling, got some long branches and fished me out.

The second time I was sailing with a good friend on Round Bay in mid Apil in a small 14' sloop with a cockpit. We were about 14 years old. The water temps are in the 40's then. The wind came up big time and we could not stop taking on water. We capsized in the middle of Round Bay! If a boat had not come when it did, we both would have been toast for certain.

So, everyone is different when it comes to cold water. Maybe I am extra cautious, but I've been lucky twice with getting dunked over my head in VERY cold water. No matter how much experience one has as a swimmer or whatever, only luck is what saved me twice.
        I understand.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

The safest thing you can do in cold air/water temps, IMO, is never paddle alone, and always have your VHF on you. I never felt scared in the beginning of this year, despite my relative inexperience of kayaking in cold weather, but I did have a drytop/waders combo, and stayed close to other people. Someday I may get a drysuit, but it probably won't be for at least a few months.

Comment

My season is rapidly coming to a close because of the cold water. I don't trust a wader dry top combo and no fish is worth the risk to me. As you've noted, you will also need to go further off shore to find the fish which presents its own risk factor. I will fish from shore every now and then to keep my sanity, but taking a break isn't necessarily a bad thing. When the water warms enough in the spring I'm energized to hit it hard for the next 6 months.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              The safest thing you can do in cold air/water temps, IMO, is never paddle alone, and always have your VHF on you. I never felt scared in the beginning of this year, despite my relative inexperience of kayaking in cold weather, but I did have a drytop/waders combo, and stayed close to other people. Someday I may get a drysuit, but it probably won't be for at least a few months.

Okay, don't paddle alone is fine. But what happens when someone capsizes their kayak? What is the plan to help them? It's not like you can fish them out yourself, put them on your kayak and paddle in to shore. Both kayaks could easily end up capsized. Calling help is good, but it could take 10-30 min for fire and rescue or a rescue boat to reach a distressed kayaker.

Is there a proper protocol here in case of emergency? It is very easy for either the person in distress, or the rescuer to panic in an emergency. We don't like to think of these possibilities, but having a common sense plan in case a kayaker gets into trouble could save lives.

Maybe the US Coast Guard site has some guidance here?

Comment

Kayaking is inherently risky at all times of the year. My cool water plan is to not put myself into a situation where a deep water rescue far from shore would be necessary.

I follow these rules:

1. Never fish alone.
                2. Fish smaller bodies of water.
                3. Stay close to shore.
                4. Forego outing when weather dictates.
                5. Forget equipment should I capsize.
                6. Be as cautious and deliberate in my movements in my kayak as possible.

Actually, numbers 5 through 6 apply all year. They instill good habits that may come in handy as the season progresses.

Still accidents can happen. We cannot eliminate risk. The drive to the launch probably poses a greater threat to my safety than the time I spend on the water as long as I follow my own protocols. We each have to measure our tolerance for potential mishaps versus our desire to fish from our kayaks. To me cool water kayak angling poses an acceptable risk as long as I modify where I fish, when I fish and what I expect to catch accordingly.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Okay, don't paddle alone is fine. But what happens when someone capsizes their kayak? What is the plan to help them? It's not like you can fish them out yourself, put them on your kayak and paddle in to shore. Both kayaks could easily end up capsized. Calling help is good, but it could take 10-30 min for fire and rescue or a rescue boat to reach a distressed kayaker.

Is there a proper protocol here in case of emergency? It is very easy for either the person in distress, or the rescuer to panic in an emergency. We don't like to think of these possibilities, but having a common sense plan in case a kayaker gets into trouble could save lives.

Maybe the US Coast Guard site has some guidance here?

It's another person to get help, should you require it. I personally have practiced falling out of my kayak, and getting back into it quickly, albeit in an ideal situation (it'll always be different). That's the best method, so you're not totally panicked. Always wear your pfd, etc. At the very least, if you can get back into your boat on your own, the second person can help tow you to shore, offer you warm and dry clothing, towels, etc. You're right in saying that your best defense is probably just being self-proficient, but certainly having someone else out there is better than being completely alone. I fish in a sit-in kayak, so I have a bilge pump, bailer, and sponge, all tied on bungees so if I do go over and get back in, I can pump the water out (or a kayaker lashed next to me could). I don't think there's an inherent "action plan" besides practicing falling out of, and getting back into, your kayak throughout the year. Keep yourself in good (or great) physical shape, so that extra strain that cold water and exertion puts on your heart won't be too much. You just have to ask yourself if it's worth going out, would you be ok should an accident occur, and how confident are you in any situation that would arise? I know I said in an earlier thread "when in doubt, just go out" but that applied obviously to warmer water and air temps, that's not the case this time of year and beyond. The fall-early spring in this region presents unique challenges that some people just can't handle, so whether it's shoveling snow, or kayaking in colder temps, you are your own best defense against the elements. Dress appropriately, always have dry clothes and a towel nearby, and plenty of other safety/bailing/rescue equipment nearby, and don't paddle alone. That's my plan.

Comment

Wind and wave size are important factors in increasing risk in colder water. Yak scientist, your point about staying in smaller bodies of water near the shore helps to mitigate the wave factor.

The problem is, the colder the water, the deeper the fish go, so look for drop offs and ledges closer to shore and in deeper creeks on the NOAA charts, and fish finders if you have one.

Comment

Dry suits are definately up there in price, but a paddling (semi-dry) suit is usually much cheaper. The only difference is that the paddling suit substitutes a neoprene neck in place of latex.
                      I fish solo a lot in the winter, but having a paddling suit and the confidence in my ability to do self-rescue allows me to fish all year. IMO, it's the next best investment I made besides the kayak itself.
                      Write a nice letter to Santa & see if he can hook you up.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-M...FYcfhgodfJEMfA
                      2013 WS Ride 135
                      2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by rwh View Post
                        Dry suits are definately up there in price, but a paddling (semi-dry) suit is usually much cheaper. The only difference is that the paddling suit substitutes a neoprene neck in place of latex.
                        I fish solo a lot in the winter, but having a paddling suit and the confidence in my ability to do self-rescue allows me to fish all year. IMO, it's the next best investment I made besides the kayak itself.
                        Write a nice letter to Santa & see if he can hook you up.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-M...FYcfhgodfJEMfA
                        Earlier this year MemoryMaker brokered a great deal for a drysuit. I have to agree with RWH--the suit has been worth every penny. It's like wearing a spacesuit, and far more versatile than I would have imagined. You can use them in cold weather or warm weather, depending on your layering.
                        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        Garmin Echomap 93sv
                        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Working...
                        X