Persnickety Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persnickety Picks

John Rentch and I worked a Severn tributary today looking for pickerels. After all, fall has finally arrived and the water is cool enough for their liking. We anticipated a productive outing.

But they were quite fussy and distinctly anti-social today. In 2.5 hours of fishing we caught no pickerels. I never even saw one follow my lure. We got a few stripers and John got a white perch but that was it.

The first thing we noticed was low water. These photos show what happens on a low tide and a strong outgoing wind:

P1020250.jpg P1020252.jpg P1020253.jpg

A good thing to do when the water is this low is to catalog in your memory what you see in and around structure that is typically under water. In higher water, pickerels would love some of the spots pictured above.

But that brings me to another point. Logic would indicate that low water would concentrate the fish. They have to go somewhere since they cannot crawl along the exposed banks where they normally swim. So you would think, the picks would be in the centers of coves. I tried that tactic and boated 3 stripers on a small jig spinner like the one pictured below. Also, I lost what I believe was a legal sized one after about a minute's tussle with the fish pulling drag and me retrieving lost line several times.

P1020260.jpg

Anyway, my low water logic rarely works for pickerels. I never do well with them in conditions like we faced today. When I saw the long pilings covered with barnacles under piers and exposed banks, I was disappointed. I knew it would be a rough day.

But, it's always good to be on the water with your fishing buddies even when the fish are not cooperative.

P1020259.jpg P1020266.jpg

Better luck, I hope, next time.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Thanks for the report Mark. I was at Piney Point yesterday during the latter part of an outgoing tide and was surprised at how low the water had gotten and the current was still moving fairly well. Much bigger piece of water and light winds so not sure why it had gotten so low. Didn't affect the fishing though, rocks were stacked up in the channel.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Glad you found some rockfish, at least. Did you get them on light pickerel gear?
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Like Mark said, it was good to get out. First time with the waders and fleece, but the sun was warm. I was using light rod and 1/8 jig with gulp. What action I had was fun.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
          Glad you found some rockfish, at least. Did you get them on light pickerel gear?
          Yep. Two light spinning rods is all I carried. Makes it more sporting for sure when the schoolies hit a perch/pickerel spinner.

I really enjoy small water trips in the Ultimate.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X