Rod length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
    ...Also with the longer rods my BIG thing I look for is butt length. As a paddler I like to be able to tuck the butt under my arm so I am free with the other arm to be able to one arm paddle...
    This has indeed been an interesting thread.

The range of answers has been remarkable showing that we all may be kayak anglers but our angling styles and preferences differ greatly.

You mentioned butt length. I recently had a spinning rod modified by a rod maker/repairman to remove 3 inches of the butt. The long handle was getting in my way in my kayak. Now with the shortened handle the rod is much more functional for me.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great thread!

My trolling (primary) rods are 6.5'. My main rod for casting lures is 7' to gain a little more distance. For light tackle WP and the like i use 6' but for crappie I use 4.5' rods to get up close around docks in the late fall and late winter. I generally prefer shorter rods both for maneuvering in the kayak and for general storage and transportation.

Although some folks like to shorten the butt on their rods, like Fishmoken I also look for longer butt length. It just feels more comfortable for me to tuck it under my arm as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I have pretty much sold all my 7ft rods over the years and settled on rods in the 6'-6'8" range as a preferred length with 6'6" being the most common length in inventory. For boat jig fishing I like a 6ft rod more as it just seems easier to manage. The extra 6" really help on the kayak to get around the nose and add some extra casting distance.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I own many fishing rods in various lengths; everything from an ultra-light 4ftish to a 10ft surfcasting outfit. Each has its own unique qualities and each one excels in different situations. For the type of kayak fishing I have come to enjoy, the best combination of rod length/characteristics has been a 6'6" rod. At this length the rod is long enough for casting duties, but short enough to be able to comfortably manage a fish boat side. As others have already touched on, butt length, or rather a shorter butt length, was critical for me. I remember once trying a short, 5ft 6inch rod on my kayak. This particular rod was designed for saltwater, stand-up, speed-jigging duties the kind you see folks doing over an ocean reef. The butt length was intentionally long so as to fit under one's armpit for added leverage while working the jig and/or wrestling a big grouper. Although the rod length was short, I found the longer butt length to be unmanageable in the kayak. Like choosing a powerboat, there is no perfect rod length or butt combination, each will be based on personal taste and fishing style; for me what seems to work for kayak fishing is a 6'6" rod with a shorter butt length.
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

On the topic of short-butt rods, I have gotten two custom rods from Jim Dutt of SmallieStix.com, out of Redding PA. He is a yak fisherman and makes well balanced rods with short butts. Both of my rods were in the $150 range and compared very favorably to factory rods I have used in that price range. Jim turned me on to Microwave guides, which while seeming gimmicky, really work wonderfully and allow one to extend the casting range of a shorter rod. I have done a side by side with my 6' ml rod with the Microwaves vs a 7' ml SC Premier and with identical reel, line, and lure, they cast almost the same distance, with a slight advantage to the 7' if I really put some weight behind it.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

6.5' or 7' for trolling.
              9' fly rod sitting down in the kayak.
              I love me some small ultra light spinning rods when top water smallie fishing on the Potomac.

Comment

This has been a great thread. Interesting to see different answers. Reminds me of two of my favorite kayak youtubers who had videos about their setups this summer. One uses long MH rods with braid for long casts and better hook sets. The other uses shorter M rods and mono for accurate casts and maximum stretch that allows bass to inhale the bait for... better hook sets.

Again interesting to see to two methods with the same conclusion. It's all about getting out there and finding what works for you.

For me, I have a 7'6 for casting as I enjoy nothing than throwing a bait as far as I can. For trolling I've enjoyed a 7' pole because I paddle and angle the rod holder towards my bow. The longer length keeps the line further away from the boat and my paddle.

I do have a medium light 6' spinning setup in which I see the advantages of wielding a short stick around the boat but haven't trolled with it.

No opinion on the rod butt. I'll be thinking about that the next time I'm out there tho

More than anything this thread has reinforce the idea to get a solid ultra light for Smallies and panfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

John, I use pretty exclusively a 7 ft medium heavy penn battle II combo spooled with 40lb power pro and 30 lb P-line flouro leader. It's my trolling go-to, I've caught 40+ stripers in the spring and it handles any variety of baits EXCEPT- big Chesapeake rig type lures that I sometimes have to resort to in the late fall- for that I step up to my bull red rods, a 7ft heavy mojo inshore
                  John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                  Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

It all depends on the situation. 6'6 is probably the best all-around length, but a 5'6 or 6' is great for fishing close to docks where extra length gets in the way. I also like the torque you get with a 7' for longer casts. You get better sensitivity and hooksets at a distance. Around Annapolis and Kent Island I can fish for just about anything with my 6'6 ugly stik lite. It has stood up to stripers as big as 15lbs and cow nose rays, and smaller fish like perch still put a good bend in it.

Comment

Most of my feedback asking the same question to kayakers is 7+ for two reasons, first, long casts(stealth) and second, being able to get the tip around the kayak when fighting a fish.
                      Glenn
                      Surf City, NC

Comment

i am not a troller, unless it is the spring season. I troll medium heavy 6,6 rods, which get put away for the year after the big rocks leave. I use 6 or 6,3 for the rest of the year. ive never had a problem casting as far as i needed to, but then it comes down to the rod sensitivity and line that you are using. at the most, my braids right now are 24 lbs test. i cast 1000 times a day when i go out. never had a problem with tangling a fish on the bow. but then again I fight the fish to the side that i will be bringing him up by since the hookset.
                        Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                        2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                        33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                        2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I like the longer rods- 6'6" medium heavy St. Croix Avid X with Revo 50 NaCl toro winch with 30# braid is my heavy duty trolling rig- 95% of all my spinning rigs are 7' or better and most are medium rods spooled with either 10# or 15# braid...and I mostly troll- or anchor up and fish with bait for catfish and use a stakeout pole a lot for fishing the flats- much better than anchoring- but long fast tip rods are really forgiving with a big fish up close to the boat where they take some pretty extreme action to avoid being caught- just don't high stick them and all will be well...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                          X