Snappers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snappers

Every now and then you come across stuff that just captures your eye and fascinates you. I got to see this live for the first time about 2 years ago at St Mary's lake, this afternoon I saw it in our community pond. Two giant (35-45 pound) snapping turtles fighting for dominance of the lake. It's like watching Sumo wrestling in slo-mo. They assume a head to tail position and then begin a very slow death roll with each one trying to force the other other while clamping on a foot or the tail. After a minute or two they separate and then reengage. 20 minutes of non stop action and in the end the judges card had it all even with no winner. Kind of like watching the debate last night.

004.jpg005.jpg

This photo looked vaguely Chessie like but it was just the snappers taking a breather.

008.jpg

You may now go back to your normal diet of stripers and trout.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Wow I've never seen that
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Cool...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Mike,

Thank you for sharing.

I've seen big snapping turtles walking across land and even roads where I live in Pasadena. I saw a really big one literally stop traffic on MD 177.

I had heard that a lone snapping turtle on a journey over land and not close to water is a displaced male that has been evicted from its home waters by a larger/meaner turtle.

I had never seen them battle until your photos.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very cool, bud. Thanks for sharing that!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Awesome. I'm a big time reptile fan (my user name is a genus of rattlesnakes) so I really appreciate this post. Thanks for sharing.
            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I saw this happen on Seneca lake one time. It was late in the day no fish to be had. I herd some splashing down the bank, so I walked over and watched for 20min or so of the same thing you saw. It was amazing to watch! A memory I will have for the rest of my life. I have the video somewhere. If I find it I will post it back here. It is a truly amazing thing to see animals fight like that. Sometimes when the fish don't bite it's always great to have a "nature day"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Desert Camo- Moken 14
              Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

they were mating
                2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                X