Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Outback Leaking

Hobie Outback owners,

My Dad purchased a 2014 Hobie Outback in April of 2014.

It started taking on water through a crack visible from underneath towards the front of the opening where the Mirage drive goes. It floods in at a rate of about a gallon every thirty minutes. We then have to pump out. Have any of the Outback owners on this forum experienced this type of crack? Is this something that Hobie would fix? My Dad has only had the boat out about 30 times. It seems like a defect for it to happen so soon. Also does anyone have a clue what the white circle is in front of the Mirage opening seen from below? The crack runs into it.

Any information on best course of action would be greatly appreciated.

hobie_outback_04.jpghobie_outback_03.jpghobie_outback_02.jpghobie_outback_05.jpghobie_outback_01.jpg
    <MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

I believe the circular plug stabilizes/reinforces the sailing mast holder. My Revo has plug in approximately the same spot.

I would notify Hobie about the leak.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Take it in to the dealer where it was purchased- they will notify Hobie- looks like a stress crack- and with plastic welding technique, a fairly easy fix..
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Mark and ronaultmtd, Thanks for the info! I contacted the dealer (ACK) and Hobie. Waiting to hear what they can do to fix. After searching the web it looks like a crack in this location is a very common problem with Hobie kayaks. Some say that it is unrepairable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hobi...ZNAmoQ_AUIBygC
        <MIKE>

Comment

Common yes, repairable yes. I had it happen a while ago and fixed it by first welding it and then using Gflex and fiberglass cloth inside and out. Been good ever since. Check out Gflex online. Some great stuff.

Although you should be covered under warranty, my first outback was way out of warranty and the got me a new hull for the cost of shipping. $75

And before anyone ask, The razor blades are only to show where the cracks were, no I didn't jam razor blades in my kayak.

IMG_3138.jpg IMG_3141.jpg
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Hey Jim,

Thanks for all the great information. I'm glad Hobie hooked you up the first time and that your current weld is still holding. I'm waiting to hear back from Hobie and ACK. I will check out Gflex.

Mike
            <MIKE>

Comment

I had the same thing happen on my 2010 and 2012 outbacks. My 2010 was still in the warranty period and I received a new 2012 hull for the cost of shipping ($75). My 2012 was way out of the warranty period, so I repaired it with the Gflex/fiberglass method mention by Jimmy. Its holding up after well over a dozen trips, but I recently bought a 2016 outback, so its now for sale in the tacklebox section. Check out my post there for picks of what the repair looks like.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
              X