Finally got my classic topwater bite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my classic topwater bite!

I have been wanting to hit the sod banks around the Eastern Shore for the last week after Kimbro kept posting 30" fish from the "Shore Bite". I wasn't sure I wanted to be there for as short a window as getting out of work at 4pm would allow, but based on recent reports, I couldn't not go.

I have been anxious for a real top-water session for a long time. I have, in fact, had virtually no success in my prior attempts. I was hoping the conditions would prove to be as perfect as I anticipated. The water was 64 degree, the winds dead calm and the tide flooding

I went towards the mouth and started throwing a bone colored spook. I pick up a feisty 16"er from the first point, but was blanked for the next 20 minutes. I kept working the various points with no luck. I decided to head towards the shoreline that was shaded. Before I got there, I tossed the lure into the open water in the shadow created buy the low light and trees and grabbed a strong 19". I kept casting and got a couple of blow ups, without hookups.

As I was looking around on where to throw next, I saw fish of decent size working bait. I thought it was an isolated incident, but I kept watching. The kept rising. Then the birds moved in. By that time, I was paddling flat out to cover the 1/4 mile between them and me.

Upon arrival, the birds had disappeared and so had the surface activity. I cast out anyway and immediately hooked into another 19" and then a 21" and on and on it went. I was connecting on almost every cast. Those that didn't produce a fish, had blow ups or the lure getting slapped into the air. It was just like all those topwater bites I had read about and watch videos of. It was classic, and I was ecstatic with the action!

At the end of the day, I boated almost 25 fish in about 2 hours fishing, with the vast majority happening the first hour. There were only only a couple smaller than 19" and many 20" - 22". It was an epic night. The only thing that could have made it better was if a 30" had joined the fun, but I ain't complaining!!

I can't wait to do it again!!
    Last edited by EMSer; 10-18-2016, 05:33 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Nice going Bruce, glad you could sneak out
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Bruce, nothing beats a great top water bite. Glad you got into them.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Love reading you're posts. I'm thinking you are never sorry you squeezed out the time to go fishing. Chores are for the times the wind is blowing too hard!!
        Harlan

Revo 13
        Trident 13
        Cuda 14
        Necky Tandem

Comment

Bruce,

I think a lot of folks believe you need to see surface activity to catch stripers on top. In my experience, the bigger ones are lurking unseen at this time of year in the spots like you described in your post. You may see no feeding on top but stripers may be below and willing to come up. Also, you were wise to check not only the shorelines but the nearby waters 5 to 10 yards out.

As always your post was interesting but it was also instructive for people who want to share your success.

Excellent.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
            I can't wait to do it again!!
            And again, and again, and again, and....

I too love throwing the bone spook across shallow water and marsh banks! WAY more fun then trolling.
            Brian

Comment

+1 What Mark said! Love your Post

Yak67

2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I found this summer that bigger 19-21" fish seemed to feed solo at marsh points and close in shore structure were there was good tide flow. When I would troll during the summer it was dinkville. Of course that is changing now with cooler temps. I do love the eastern shore! Less development and generally less boat traffic. Wish I lived closer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Bruce- Do you replace the trebles with single hooks or pinch down the barbs? Just wondering as I have a couple top water plugs with trebles and was thinking of trying some of your techniques. Was planning on pinching down the barbs.

WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

I do both. The times when I didn't, I haven't enjoyed and neither has the fish...

Originally posted by WOOD YAK View Post
                    Bruce- Do you replace the trebles with single hooks or pinch down the barbs? Just wondering as I have a couple top water plugs with trebles and was thinking of trying some of your techniques. Was planning on pinching down the barbs.

Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                    X