Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody fished the Potomac lately...below the chain bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody fished the Potomac lately...below the chain bridge?

Since there's no DC forum....Going out with a few work buddies fishing tomorrow and Wednesday on the Potomac, between the chain bridge and the confluence of the Anacostia and Potomac, was hoping for spots or advice from anyone whose been there recently. I know it's a stretch, but any help would be appreciated, you can always DM me if you don't want to give anything away to anybody just skimming the forums. We are targeting rockfish btw (though I'm sure bluecats and carp will be thick in the area). We haven't decided on a launch point, but it might be close to Reagan airport. Thanks everyone.

http://www.charlietaylorfishing.com/fishing_report.htm You probably already saw the report but here is what I've seen.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Let me know how it went if it got out.

Comment

I'm thinking of dropping in at Fletchers mid-week next week, be sure to report back!
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'm also in the DC area. Keep us up to date with any success in the area!
            I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            Garmin Echomap 93sv
            RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Nothing good to report fishing wise...I have to admit I've never fished in that area, so a lot of my report is probably due to that. It was one of the most interesting 2 days of fishing, but not for the usual reasons. Wednesday, I launched from gravelly point, and caught nothing over the course of about 4 hours fishing. Trolled my usual heavy hitter paddletails, tried a ratltrap as well. Fished bridge pilings, shoreline, open water, nothing, no hits, no fish. Yesterday was slightly more successful, I launched from the parking lot for the Roosevelt island walkway. Caught 1 fish ~16" right out in front of Roosevelt island, in open water, not on a ledge or anything. The second fish came by surprise, I started to get up to trolling speed, cast out one of my zmans, and it was immediately hit by a large fish. Fought it about 30 seconds or so, maybe longer, felt like it had some weight to it, kept shaking the hook, and eventually shook it about 5-10 yards from the boat. Pretty sure it was a 20-24" striper, but I will never know. I would like to give fletchers a try, but honestly, I don't really wish to return to that area again anytime soon,due to a number of reasons. 1) noise from jets, helicopters, etc was deafening at times 2) rowers. one of them rammed me while I was drifting some bait and jigging a lure over a deep trough in the 3 sisters area. 2 old dudes just flying through the water, I guess they don't look forward too often. I was looking the opposite way but luckily turned while they were about 10 yards from my boat, and shouted to them twice, they didn't hear, but I was able to quickly paddle backwards so they only slammed into the front part of my kayak, they would've hit me dead center, and possibly threw me off, or crippled my kayak. 3)fishing was extremely slow, again probably in part due to my lack of knowledge in the area, but also I don't think fish hold there like they do many of the other Chesapeake bay tribs, at least not in that area. On the plus side, on Wednesday, I definitely witnessed a topless photo shoot. A brand new wakeboard boat with a guy (photographer) and 2 girls (they looked really young, hopefully they were 18), motored up slowly to just in front of the Lincoln memorial area, and then anchored. The girls stood at the back of the boat, and the guy was taking a bunch of pictures of them in bikinis. I was trolling in their direction, then I veered away to fish some more pilings. When I returned about 15-20 mins later after circling back around the other pilings, they were now topless, or at least one was, I wasn't that close to tell if the other one was as well. It was funny watching each powerboat go by, only to veer wide right to get a glimpse of wtf was going on. I guess some wakeboarding mag was having a photoshoot, or something, idk, I guess the Lincoln memorial was a good backdrop, it just seemed weird to have a topless shoot there right in the open, not that I was complaining. So like I said, it was an interesting 2 days, but fishing sucked. Might go try fletchers one morning, but probably not this year. I would consider returning with someone who's familiar with the area, as I think the possibility is there for some huge fish, as there's lots of places for bait to congregate. Sorry for the lengthy report, just thought I would give an accurate rundown of 2 weird days.

Comment

Nice thanks for the info. Yeah the photoshoot would have ruined fishing for me haha.

Comment

Fletcher's is great in the spring for shad, catfish, and stripers. An April trip should be much more productive.
                  Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Just trying to bring a smile to Abe. He always looks so serious.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

DC can be a wild place- especially if they are shooting movies- lot of movie companies shoot scenes for upcoming yet to be released movies- see them all the time...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah I was wondering if it was like either for some weird wakeboarding magazine...or some sort of B movie with just randomly placed nudity.

Comment

Working...
                        X