Goodhands Blast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodhands Blast!

Launched from Goodhands this morning at dawn. Crotalus (Kevin) was already in the water.
    2016-10-17 07.37.36.jpg

The fish were breaking thick along the shoreline to the left of the launch. By the time I got in the water, he had landed at least 3 fish-1 keeper. We spent the next hour working the shoreline and further back into the cove. It was a blast-I landed at least a dozen, most were 18-19", but got one over 20.
    2016-10-17 08.15.44.jpg

I was casting 1/2 oz jig with a 5" paddletail as close to the shoreline as I could. Hooked up almost every time. The fish just kept moving chasing the bunker everywhere. Birds were dive bombing the water-had to be careful not to hook one when casting. We worked from the very back to back to the launch area. A guy casting from the launch pier and landed what appeared to be a 24" or better. Around 8:30, I started trolling out of the creek, but just got around the corner and started nailing more-again 18-19" fish, got my second over 21". I quit around 9:30 and never left the river. Think it was the result of a high tide a 6:30, and maybe that full moon we had last night. These two lures were my most effective.
    2016-10-17 11.50.41.jpg
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 10-17-2016, 07:25 PM.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Man oh man, was that fun. I had my limit in less than half an hour. After that I switched to top water for fun and they were hammering it. Got off the water just before John did and caught ~30 fish from 18"-22" (8 over 20") and never left the creek.

IMG_20161017_075520227.jpg

IMG_20161017_080043681.jpg
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
      I was casting 1/2 oz jig with a 5" paddletail as close to the shoreline as I could. Hooked up almost every time. The fish just kept moving chasing the bunker everywhere. Birds were dive bombing the water-had to be careful not to hook one when casting. We worked from the very back to back to the launch area. A guy casting from the launch pier and landed what appeared to be a 24" or better. Around 8:30, I started trolling out of the creek, but just got around the corner and started nailing more-again 18-19" fish, got my second over 21". I quit around 9:30 and never left the river. Think it was the result of a high tide a 6:30, and maybe that full moon we had last night. These two lures were my most effective.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20262[/ATTACH]
      Is the top lure in the picture a Storm paddle tail lure?

Comment

Yes, picked it up at Anglers last week.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Excellent outing, guys.

Goodhands has indeed lived up to its name recently.

It has been a very good place to fish.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great job. You stayed within a few hundred yards of the ramp and caught plenty of fish. Mark and I ran 40 miles in my center console today and caught fewer fish than you did. You chose wisely.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicely done, indeed!!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

It was almost as good this morning. Except I had to paddle out of sight of the ramp today. Good fishing with John again and meeting Mike(?). Really good top water action. Had my limit by 7:30. Got off the water at 8:30. Probably 20 fish or more. Most 18"-22". Largest at 24".

Kevin

Comment

Agree, after you left Scott and I trolled around for a while with little success. Finally I started heading back to Goodhands Creek where I got into some nice ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Goodhands seems to have cooled off a bit. Fished from 4:00 - 7:00 PM yesterday, and the bite really didn't turn on until the last hour. No keepers, but a decent number of fish both trolling paddletails and casting topwater plugs.
                    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I would agree. I was there from 5-8pm and did not see the action I had the previous 2 nights.

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                      Goodhands seems to have cooled off a bit. Fished from 4:00 - 7:00 PM yesterday, and the bite really didn't turn on until the last hour. No keepers, but a decent number of fish both trolling paddletails and casting topwater plugs.
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I was out there again yesterday morning. It was calm at first but I did pick up double 18"s trolling out of the creek. All at once the fish started breaking and birds came out of nowhere. I would pick up a fish, reel it in, unhook it and they would be 100 yards away. I'd paddle over, pick up a fish and repeat. Caught ~15 fish, including one 21", and then as quick as it started, it shut off like a light switch. I didn't pick up another fish for over an hour, and I only got one more after that. Crazy how quick it can change. I hope this cool spell will get the action going again. I won't be able to get out again until Monday

Beautiful morning, though.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X