Point Lookout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout

I had a successful "Maiden Voyage" with my 2017 Hobie Outback (Camo) along with AbuMasgouf at the New Kayak Launch (Discovery Village) yesterday.

...planning to drive down to Point Lookout this coming Saturday - 10/22/16. Anyone interested? Any advice for fishing Point Lookout this time of year?
    Last edited by ST@TS; 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM.
    2017 Hobie Outback - Camo
    2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

I've only heard one PLO report recently and it wasn't positive. If you can launch at day break or mid afternoon we've been having much better luck at the St Jeromes Creek inlet using top water and paddle tails on 1/4 ounce jigs (the water is only 2-4' deep in most areas). Big top water baits have been producing a lot of 18-22" fish with occasional bigger fish in the mix. I use Drureys Marina because it's closest to the inlet ($10). Buzz's Marina charges yaks $5 but is maybe an extra 1/2 mile in each direction.

Congrats on your new kayak.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

ST@TS: I fished Point Lookout Saturday AM and got skunked. No bait, no birds, no marks on the depth finder. Having said that last year I did well there one day in late October. My 2 cents - the area is all about finding the bait balls. Its a little different ballgame than shallow water "creek" fishing. Trolling with 3/4 to 1 oz plus jigs with paddle tail works and there may be opportunities to jig so bring some metal to get under the bait if you can. There is a lot of water to cover out there. As you probably know the area is highly reliant on the weather. For me anything over 10 from the South, West or East makes for a tough day, its very exposed. I believe Ronaultmd has fished there quite a bit - maybe PM him or he may respond to your thread. Big Mikes recommendation of St. Jerome is solid. I fished it this morning and did very well. Quality fish in low 20's. Including this fat 17.5" Red that fought like a mid 20 Rock. A nice surprise.
      Attached Files
      WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

One other note. If you fish the mouth of st. Jerome and want to try the open bay it's right there in front of you. With the bonus of quick shelter if you need it. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Keeping a close eye on the weather, St. Jerome looks like the way to go. I asked Kevin on his other post this, but I'll also ask here, are the croaker still around?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I don't fish for croaker but based on the local tackle shop intel it sounds like they are moving out. Might be a few stragglers around, especially with the warm weather the next few days. Better bet is rocks, trout and drum
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the info Big Mike & Wood Yak.
              2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

At SPSP on Saturday I spent 4 or 5 hours trolling in 20-30 feet of water, but didn't spot many fish on my electronics. When the sun started to go down, I headed toward the docks empty-handed and decided to cast into the shallows for a few minutes. Landed three smallish rocks (maybe 14-18 inches) and a couple perch within an hour. This weekend I'll probably stay shallow.
                I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                Garmin Echomap 93sv
                RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

PLO is a great fishing spot but it has to be "learned"....tough to figure out- big- lots of different structure that hold fish under certain conditions- and it is a long trip for most of us being at the southern most tip of Maryland- right now finding fish is fairly easy to locate and fill your limits, but with cold weather coming fish will be harder to locate and nothing substitutes for time on the water- and it is a long paddle from the launch to the tip of the lighthouse, especially if the tide is going out against the wind and you have been fishing all day headed in...don't forget the Bay side of PLO- I have had some of my best catches in the Bay side and not in the Potomac River side of PLO...PS- there is a Bay side beach launch to the left just past the first bridge- parking is on the right but has a crosswalk to pull your yak across the road to the beach...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-19-2016, 09:42 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                    Weather forecast (wind) doesn't look to good for the weekend. Not sure if we will be going...
                    2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

Working...
                    X