Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Banana... lots of fish....

One Banana... lots of fish....

Well, you guys sort of know my routine... a banana... before I hit the highway... ham sandwich and a soda on the road.
    Routine that works.. nothing worse than a bad tummy on the yak.

Went out three days in a row right before Labor Day...
    with all the storms and rain, and work couldn't get out till yesterday again...
    Longest dry spell getting out for the fall since I began enjoying this hobby four years ago...

Hit the water at 7:30am... lots of bait fish in the usual places but no fish hitting...
    Really, really foggy.. it was cool and added a different element to the morning as I had fished this location many times.
    No boat traffic to worry about... once last year I went out on an extremely foggy morning, any there were many crab boats with their loud John Deere engines alerting me to their presence.
    And it was a bit scary because.. well super dense fog.

The "creeks" were holding lots of bait fish, the main stem not much at all... but still no love.... worked the "creeks" for a while...
    Being so foggy the "birds" probably couldn't find fish, I paid attention to, if, I could hear some birds working... lots of fog.

At 8:30am... moving out and around got my first, and big "thump" but no hook up got away... good heavy thump and pull.
    Caught six or so dinks shortly after and back tracked to the good thump and caught my first keeper... maybe same fish.
    Nothing exotic... only 22inches... but a great fight.... obviously.... being greedy, not sure if I would bring home any dinner for the trip kept him...

Still foggy but getting better... moved out to a large oyster bed area that has, and then again, not produced.
    The fog was now lifting... the sun coming out... 50'f at launch... sort of chilly, but now I was pealing off layers of clothes as it got warm.

With the full'ish moon out all night.... the fish were probably doing their feeding all night... and the morning fog... slow it down.

I moved over to a large oyster bed area... the fog had lifted... there were birds working lots or areas... no crazy top water action.
    I was in 15ft to 18ft of water.... where the birds were working... it was mostly dinks... what was producing size was below.

It didn't matter if the birds were there or not... there were good marks on the sonar with fish even if the birds weren't there.
    It appears the dinks were pushing the bait fish to the surface... and the bigger fish were there and hungry down below.
    Even away from the bird action, which is were I was (basically not worried about chasing birds).

Caught my second keeper at 11:30am.... nothing exotic... least I post a picture....
    Weather was predicted to get worse later in the day... I had my limit... no point in beating up the fish with hooks... headed back.
    Would liked to spend more time on the water, just to enjoy the fact I hadn't been out in a month or so...

I had no idea what was going to happen yesterday.... I haven't even looked at the group here since late August...
    Had no "intel".... just had to go out and "do it." But it is Rock'Tober.... and I'm happy as can be to get out... and bring home dinner !

Get out... Explore... have fun !
    One Banana.... 30 fish or so...

Maybe I should have eaten a banana... I got shut out at Cornfield this morning, no bait anywhere, no birds, Odd. Beautiful morning though. Went to another spot. Nada. Just wasn't my day.
    WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

I think you can eat the banana just don't bring it haha. A good banana to keep the stomach at bay, can make your day!

Comment

Working...
      X