VHF radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF radio

Okay so I'm really getting hooked into this bay fishing from a kayak. With that said I noticed that a lot of you bay guys have VHF radio's for safety and communication. My question is which one do you gents use the most?? I do not want to break the bank, but don't want garbage either. Thanks
    2017 Hobie PA14

This topic has been discussed here often.

Standard Horizon is a common brand used by many Snaggedliners. But other brands are good too.

Perhaps what you should balance are features versus price, rather than brand. Many of the handhelds have complex features you'll likely never use, especially if you presently own or subsequently get a fish finder. I'm talking about GPS, setting waypoints, direction, speed, etc.

Mine does lots of stuff but the most important features from my viewpoint, aside from its good transmission and reception capabilities is that it is waterproof and it floats.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

After a couple of years without one I got a basic Standard Horizon that floats. On sale with a rebate I think it was $89. Only function I use is the talk button, and I guess the volume knob.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Everyone here will tell you standard. Which is a good choice as they're nice radios.

I bought a cobra 125 this year with the mindset that I'd use it as a backup to a standard id buy later on.

I was so impressed with the 125 that I decided to make it my primary. Super clear, small, lightweight, and only $59.

I had to do a Pompom earlier in the year, and it worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=0

That's the one I have, the standard horizon hx150. The battery lasts all day and even 2 days at times, and it's usually on sale for under $100. It's very loud for a kayak as well, the 2 lowest volume settings have been all that I've used thus far. Mainly, I just use it for communication to tell people where I'm catching fish or hear where they are catching them, but it does have the handy emergency channel buttons in case something were to happen.

Comment

This is a pricier option, and one I am saving for: http://www.cobra.com/products/handheld/mr-hh500-flt-bt I like the fact that it has Bluetooth and that I can keep my phone tucked away in a dry bag but can still take a call via the radio if my family needs to get a hold of me.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

you can also get a waterproof Bluetooth speaker for around 20-30$ from amazon, that's the route I went. That way i can take calls, and even listen to music, that sounds decent, through Pandora or something on my phone.

Comment

Apparently many Snaggedline members have Standard Horizon radios. They are good radios and are popular. However, other reputable brands work very well too. Last summer I replace a 20-year old ICOM handheld. I went to West Marine and looked at the several models they carried. Given that week's sale prices and the features, I purchased a West Marine VHF 160 waterproof and floating radio that meets all my needs.

I recommend that you visit a store that carries multiple models and brands and see which one has the best combination of features and price.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Since we're on the topic:

Does this group have frequently used channels? If so, what are they?
                  I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  Garmin Echomap 93sv
                  RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Okay so The GPS store has Standard Horizon on sale with a $20 dollar rebate. You just have to order by DEC 31st. Can you say Christmas gift. Here's a link. http://www.thegpsstore.com/VHF-Radios-C17.aspx
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                      Since we're on the topic:

Does this group have frequently used channels? If so, what are they?
                      68 is the channel we commonly use to keep each other informed during outings.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/vhfchanl.pdf
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X