First Keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Keeper

Went out Friday afternoon in the Wye river, ran into FishinFool at the launch, he gave me some intel on where to fish in the area, which was spot on. Had one of those fishing trips that I only read about from other kayakers. Caught about 16 Rock in 4 - 5' of water, mostly in the 12" range, a hand full were 16" to 19" and then finally landed a 20"er. YEA..... only took me 4 years, 2 kayaks, and who know how many sore muscles.....

1st rockfish.jpg
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Congratulations on the keeper! All you persistence and hard work paid off. I am sure it will be the first of many
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Congratulations. While the experience is still fresh in your mind, try to think about all the things you did (speed; with or against current; lure weight, color, and size; sunny or overcast) and where you trolled (depth, flat bottom or drop offs, any structure) in order to make those catches. Reviewing that information helps you build your experience base, which will make future trips even more productive.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats! Catching your first keeper is a memorable occasion. I think it's one of my favorite parts about seeing reports from members here.
        J

Comment

The pull of that first big rock is what keeps me going back. Congrats on your first one.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Congrats on the keeper! Glad to see others having success.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Nice meeting and chatting with you and last Friday Mark, and again congrats on your first keeper! After you left probably around 6:00 pm, the wind picked up, and it was pretty tough sledding even close in to shore near the launch. It was not a good evening to try topwater either but I ended up just practicing a bit for when they are there.

Now that all this wind is gone, I hope to get to Jane's Island this weekend for an annual camp with my brother there. Hope to bump into you again at some point! Steve

Comment

Congrats on your fist keeper it's always great and enjoy a great dinner.
                Now on a side note.... not only did you get your first keeper, you got to meet our wonderful but esoteric Mr. Fishinfool...

I have always enjoyed 'fishinfool' posts.. some day I may be as lucky as you to have both experiences in the same day :-)

Comment

Working...
                X