Staying warm in cord water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying warm in cord water?

As the weather (and water) cools, what is the best way to keep my legs/feet comfortable while kayaking/wading in Small Mouth streams/rivers??
    I am not talking freezing weather, I am talking about West Virginia rivers in October.
    I paddled/waded the James river last October, and it was a bit nippy on the legs,, just need something to take the edge off,, Wet pants? dry pants? I have no clue.

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Neoprene waders and some shorts underneath are pretty good for this time of year. I actually end up sweating underneath em most days unless my waders are just about completely submerged for long periods of time. If it's really chilly out some heavy socks and some fleece sweat pants will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Kokotat dry pants work for me. But I have also used Hodgman waders. Both have stocking feet over which I wear neoprene shoes.

The pants and waders are watertight and keep my legs and feet dry as I walk into the water to launch and exit my kayaks.

Through the late fall I wear jeans underneath the pants. If it is very cold, I'll wear fleece wading pants under the Kokotats. The fleece pants are extra nice not only because they are warm but because they have stirrups which prevent the cuffs from riding up under the Kokotat dry pants.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        because they have stirrups which prevent the cuffs from riding up under the Kokotat dry pants.
        This is amazing info, stirrups never occurred to me. I have some stretchy velcro straps I use to secure my pant cuffs but inevitably one will come loose and drive me crazy until I get a chance to fix it.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I really like my Kokatat Hydrus pants but you can also get the waist waders from cabelas, bass pro, ll bean, etc which is what I did before the kokatats. The nice thing about the kayak specific pants is the neoprene waist velcro closure that allows you to make a better seal with a drytop. Either way, make sure you get the pants so you can relieve yourself!

I wear a pair of under armor cold gear base layer and then wear different weight fleece pants over them depending on how cold it is and how long I will be out. I avoid anything cotton (jeans included) because if they get wet (even from sweat) they get uncomfortable. Also, here's an old fly fishing tip, tuck your pant legs into your socks before you put the waders on. This keeps them from riding up without having to put stirrups on your pants. Good luck out there this season and stay safe!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            I really like my Kokatat Hydrus pants but you can also get the waist waders from cabelas, bass pro, ll bean, etc which is what I did before the kokatats. The nice thing about the kayak specific pants is the neoprene waist velcro closure that allows you to make a better seal with a drytop. Either way, make sure you get the pants so you can relieve yourself!

I wear a pair of under armor cold gear base layer and then wear different weight fleece pants over them depending on how cold it is and how long I will be out. I avoid anything cotton (jeans included) because if they get wet (even from sweat) they get uncomfortable. Also, here's an old fly fishing tip, tuck your pant legs into your socks before you put the waders on. This keeps them from riding up without having to put stirrups on your pants. Good luck out there this season and stay safe!
            Stay safe, indeed...especially on days like today- Fish Weather is saying North wind 24 gusting to 28 at Piney Point this am...I am like most on this forum- I choose my days- less wind, sunny when possible- base layer of Under Armour and stocking foot breathable waders...I carry a NRS dry top but rarely put it on- usually the exertion of trolling keeps me warm...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X