Fall Topwater Bonanza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Topwater Bonanza

Yesterday the fall topwater bite in the shore shallows was hot. What a blast. Instead of turning off after dawn, it lasted throughout the entire morning and was still going somewhat when I had to pack it in at noon. The conditions were perfect: overcast skies, 67-69 degree water temps, high tide at 9am so I could fish the shoulders, and strong current but reasonable winds (5-6mph). I was throwing large spooks and chuggers and caught well over 30 quality fish in the 16-22" range. Topwater feeding gets the fish's juices going, so even the smaller fish fought like keepers. Water depth generally about 1.5-3.5'. So to all the trollers like me: Don't forget to check out the topwater situation. It's loads of fun.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

Yep- been fun, that's for sure- nothing like a big powerful fish body slamming a popper in shallow water to get your juices flowing on light tackle...and every now and then there is a 30 (+) fish mixed in the 18-25 inch school...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

It's going to be tough to break my cardinal rule: ABT always be trolling, but I might have to, and change it up a bit.

Comment

Working...
      X