No announcement yet.

Going to the Dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would give a whole new meaning to a soft launch. Hell you could just ride it home. No trailer, car topping or bed extender to worry about. It's fun to imagine.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
      ...I am looking into some better deep cycle batteries. Maybe that will fix my run time.
      You may get so powered up lengthening your run time that you'll pass many areas holding quality fish.

But I'm sure you'll enjoy the journey.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Maybe so Mark but I'll get there.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

just saw this on my facebook news feed.

may be keen to exactly what you're trying to achieve...

https://www.facebook.com/HayaariMarine/
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

try looking at the PROPANE motors you can get a 3-6hp fairly cheap and they run on the 1lb bottles for up to like 4 hours
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

38lbs with the fuel canister.. 20lbs + 6.1lbs per gallon of fuel... don't fish near smokers .. id go with the propane over fuel for the safety factor alone not to mention storing propane bottles in the car vs storing a spillable gas can another reason... either way id like to see what you come up with...
              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

My issue is 36 Lbs hanging off the back of about 3/16 of an inch of plastic. The one I'm looking at building is a 35cc Honda GXV with a Centrifugal Clutch and a Youngs T8 prop. Weight should be around 18Lbs.
                Last edited by Steve6902; 10-09-2016, 07:09 AM.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

My issue is 36 Lbs hanging off the back of about 3/16 of an inch of plastic. The one I'm looking at building is a 35cc Honda GXV with a Centrifugal Clutch and a Youngs T8 prop. Weight should be around 18Lbs.
                  Nice, makes sense but with proper bracket that weight could be dispersed easily

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

That bracket would have to somehow attach partially like 3' from the back at least to even have a chance of properly dispersing that weight. Otherwise that thing is going to ride like an air boat with the front sticking way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Zack
                    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Okay, update. I went to HD today to look at weed whackers when I had a eureka moment. They have an inline 550 CFM leaf blower. Can you say Jet powered.

Okay tounge in check. I am looking into some better deep cycle batteries. Maybe that will fix my run time.
                      I have an MAXX 86ah AGM deep cycle for sale I used it maybe 5 or 6 times before I decided to go with a lithium one. It doesn't solve the weight problem and with any of the acid or gel types continuous runs below 50% charge will damage the battery. Sure lithium is expensive but the benefit of using one on a kayak is well worth the cost to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                        That bracket would have to somehow attach partially like 3' from the back at least to even have a chance of properly dispersing that weight. Otherwise that thing is going to ride like an air boat with the front sticking way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57fa2e4f...013613953.jpg?

90lb shepherd in a 12ft outback i think 38lb will be manageable... use some mightymount attachpoints for the bracket... not my yak just sayin either way i wanna see final outcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I just really want to do something that is different then an electric trolling motor. Just think about it, the boys down on the Bayou have been running this setup for years in the form of a longtail mud motor. They use a 30-50 CC motor to push their 12-15 foot duck boats, full of decoys, dog and gear, through the mud and muck at speeds up to 8 mph. All I want to do is push a plastic yak through the waters of the bay up to 4 mph. Oh I am so doing this now.

Side question, how do I change my profile name??
                          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Okay so I picked up an Evinrude 3HP LightWin today for free!! Now I just need to figure out how to mount it to my yak.

2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Okay just joking on mounting it to my kayak. I'm thinking John boat. I did get the motor for free though. The gentleman has not used it in well over 5 years. So I will be doing a complete tear down and rebuild. It was built between 1952-1954 in Belgium for Evinrude and Johnson. Just thought I would share.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

https://youtu.be/R9gGGLKihRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhT2POgQNcs
                                Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-17-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X