No announcement yet.

Going to the Dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echo5oscar, can you put up a link, or specs to, the lithium battery you've got in mind? These seem to be fairly priced, and easy to stack together to increase AH ratings, or you could wire in a series to up the voltage for a 24v trolling motor. http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v...placement.aspx

Comment

An additional option that stays in the 2.5hp limit is propane: https://golehr.com/lehr-2-5-hp-4-str...tboard-engine/
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
        Steve, I'd suggest upgrading to a lithium battery.

Sure, they are costly. Other than that, the downsides are limited when weighed against the positives. They're smaller, lighter, charges last longer than a big heavy SLA battery, and the battery itself lasts a lot longer than a SLA battery. The large capacity batteries weigh in around the same as that gas motor.

By the time you put it the effort, time and money to convert to gas, it very well may be worth the steep cost of a good lithium battery.

I've never seen anything with gas power in person, but the stuff I've seen on the web looks cool and fun. I am building a motor mount for a trolling motor for a Trident 13 and will run a big lithium battery. I think all of the kayak manufacturers that offer electric options use that type battery and torqueedo motors. They are proven. And they last.

If it's possible, that's all I would change. It's money well spent.
        That's the route I went after attempting to use an 86ah AGM, way too heavy for me. I purchased a 75ah Lithium, at 25lbs it works plus I can run at least 7hrs as long as I am not running at full throttle even then I can can get at least 3hrs. Plus I don't run into the downside of not being able to run my battery past 50% charge, I can take it to 0 without damage to the cells. Then the life cycle is between 3000 to 5000. this is what I got http://www.relionbattery.com/

Comment

Just get a small skiff already. They are faster, more stable, easier to fish more lines, more visible, carry more gear, allow easier stand-up casting of big baits, easier to retrieve snags, harder to fall out, and very economical too.

I'm just a troll but feel that kayaks are for old ladies sight-seeing on inland lakes, beginners, and holier-than-thou purists.

(Feel free to wack away at me mercilessly; I don't care).

Comment

Okay so I looked up some Lithium batteries and OUCH!! However they are lighter. I will also have to look up the Perception Pilot also. I just think gas would be cool. Hell stick a 6 HP on the back and take off like a cigar boat. LOL
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

After seeing a couple cool videos on youtube, I have also been thinking about a gas outboard for the kayak for long hauls over 5 miles to get to a spot. I don't have the space nor towing patience for a boat, so that is pretty much out of the question for me. If i can find a gas-powered unit that is noise suppressed for a couple hundred bucks (like 2-300), I'd give it a try.
              -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

I tried a 2 hp. 4 stroke Honda gas engine that weighed about 25-27 pounds with the same side saddle mount that I used with the electric trolling motor, on my Old Town Canoe.
                The unit completely overpowered the craft, and the side mount created a stability problem.
                I tried to solve this with some pontoons, and realized that I was adding way too many levels of complexity to the whole problem. Too much crap hanging off of the boat to get lines hung up on. Too much stuff to load in the car.
                I did not like having to carry a small gas can, along with everything else.

I tried a square stern OldTown Discovery Canoe with the gas motor, but at 120 pounds it was too heavy to car top, (my Old Town Camper goes about 55 pounds) and a bear to paddle, too many compromises and not enough benefit. Sold them both.

So I went back to the Minn Kota 55 lb. thrust electric, and a Size 27 Marine Deep Cycle battery. I could get a bigger battery, but I don't want to deal with the extra weight, I figure this battery weighs about as much as the canoe.

I can have power with this for 5-6 hours, or more if used judiciously, just can't go around at full throttle all day ( I don't know why you aren't getting better time usage powering a kayak), and I do not fish areas much more wide open then the Severn or by Fort McHenry in Baltimore. I did have a motor burn out on me and had 3 mile paddle against the wind. That gets old, fast.

Yes, the battery is pain in the butt to schlep around.

I eventually moved up to a little "Tin" boat" and from there a Center Console. And sold them all, I found that i prefered the slower pace and the ability to car top, I hated towing a trailer……..

If you Goggle up Gas Powered Kayaks, you will find some "interesting" alternatives, that are rather expensive, but can go quite fast (look for Surfango or Auquanami)…..at which point you're better off either getting a small skiff, or fishing from a personal watercraft. The Auquanami weighs about 180 pounds, can go 35 mph, so that isn't going on the roof of my car!

Kinda loses the original purpose of fishing from a small, light craft.
                Last edited by bignose; 10-06-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Another interesting option is a propane powered outboard, which eliminates the need to carry gasoline. Instead, bring along a spare propane canister. West Marine has a 2.5-hp Lehr outboard on sale now. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lehr--...haft--13498993
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I thought going to the dark side meant obtaining a pedal kayak.

Seems to me that putting a gas motor on one is downright sinister!
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I looked at the propane type but at 38 Lbs it's just to much. The ones that I am looking at come in around 14-20 Lbs. That's about a trolling motor.

My batteries are 26AH AGM deep cycle 3 each wired in parallel for 78AH. I run a 30Lbs thrust. I run it between numbers 2-3 and sometimes 4. This keeps me around 2-3 mph.
                      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

As far as the "purist" debate goes I don't care what you do. I do think it's going to greatly hinder the maneuverability and stability of your boat once you put a big motor on the back.

Have you packed a kayak full of really heavy stuff before? I have a trident 4.7 and I STILL have to take into consideration how I pack my camping gear and water in my kayak so it doesn't hinder my kayaks maneuverability and stability.

Kayaks have their advantages, the biggest being that you can soft launch and don't have to worry about motors and what not. If you're cool with using a motor, why not get one of those solo skiffs?

Using a kayak with a gas motor is like using a bow with explosive arrow tips and still trying to call it archery. Just use a gun dude lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Zack
                        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Just my opinion, but one of the things I love about kayak fishing is the quiet and lack of fuel fumes. I tell people all the time that I've never broken down and I've never run out of gas Good luck though. I hope it works well for you.
                          ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl330 View Post
                            Just my opinion, but one of the things I love about kayak fishing is the quiet and lack of fuel fumes. I tell people all the time that I've never broken down and I've never run out of gas Good luck though. I hope it works well for you.
                            I agree.

My fishing background is largely wading freshwater rivers and streams. I liked the independence and freedom of movement that wading offered plus the peacefulness of it. I find similarities to my angling roots as I fish in my kayaks on tidal waters now.

I still pedal more than I paddle and I have electronics on one of my kayaks. But I carry far less “stuff’ on each of my kayaks than I did when I started this hobby 4 years ago. I’m a minimalist compared to many kayak anglers. I also catch a lot more fish in my kayaks while carrying less gear than I did when I started. Experience will do that and I’m sure I’m not alone in my kayak angling evolution of decreasing the equipment I carry while increasing my catches. Most important to me, carrying fewer things means less preparation at home and an easier launch at the water’s edge. My kayak outings will never be as simple as my wading days, but I’ve lessened my waterfront activities greatly when I launch.

Nevertheless, I am amazed at the ingenuity of those who modify their kayaks. More power to them, no pun intended! If it keeps them on the water to enjoy this great hobby, that’s all the better. They’ll decide where practicality meets functionality.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Okay, update. I went to HD today to look at weed whackers when I had a eureka moment. They have an inline 550 CFM leaf blower. Can you say Jet powered.

Okay tounge in check. I am looking into some better deep cycle batteries. Maybe that will fix my run time.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                                Okay, update. I went to HD today to look at weed whackers when I had a eureka moment. They have an inline 550 CFM leaf blower. Can you say Jet powered.

Okay tounge in check. I am looking into some better deep cycle batteries. Maybe that will fix my run time.
                                When you said leaf-blower, this was my immediate thought...

Formel1_hovercraft.jpg
                                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                                X