Going to the Dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the Dark side

I love to fish. I love my Vibe Sea Ghost. I love the fact that I can just drop it in any river, lake or even the bay. And thus the problem. When it comes to trolling for rock fish or really getting out there it takes a good amount of time paddling. So I placed a trolling motor and 60 Lbs of batteries on it. That works for about 2-3 hours till the batteries die and then I have to paddle all that extra weight back plus my fat A$$. So I am thinking about going to the Dark side, that's right GAS.

Now before all of you "Purist" out there in your SOT plastic yaks with tri-hulls, fish finders, built-in rod holders, pedal/mirage drive systems, sail kits and Hi/Low lounge chair seating start with the negative post on this idea, just think about it. There are several pros and cons to this idea. They weight 14-20 Lbs, don't have to worry about charging batteries or the batteries dying on your outing. Thus longer fishing time. Batteries only last about 3-5 years and are expensive to replace. Can troll for fish at the perfect speed. I do not have to by a $2,600+ kayak, I can just use my Vibe and take it off when I hit the rivers.

Downside is noise (but that can be fixed) and taking extra gas. However a gallon of gas is less then 8 Lbs. Here is a link to one that I found http://www.ioutboardmotors.com/2-cyc...16-models.html they also come in a 4 stroke model. Some people even make their own with a 30-50cc motor. There are numerous sites that show you how like this one http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/diy...sion-1681.html

So here is my question, Has anyone on this site even attempted this and if so how did it work out for you?? Also, Was it worth it??

If you think this is a dumb idea then post up and explain . I also love a great debate.
    2017 Hobie PA14

You know I was going to respond in a kindly manner what I did different and why but your negative comment about Purists then going on requesting non negative comments kinda sticks in my craw. To me that was uncalled for.

Comment

Well I'm sorry you feel that way. However I never said you could not post negative comments. In fact I said before you post negative comments listen to my reasons. I then ask you to post your comments good or bad. As for the "Purist" comment, it is accurate. I had a gentleman give me a hard time about a trolling motor on my kayak that it was not the true Spirit of kayaking. I then had to point out that he had a Native propel kayak with all goodies on it. You know on second thought I'm not sorry and if my comment sticks in your craw then that's your problem not mine.
      Last edited by Steve6902; 10-06-2016, 11:08 AM.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

This post confuses me...also not sure what you are talking about as far as purists...Kinda sounds like you are criticizing people. It's all good man. Kayak fishing people are some of the nicest fishermen I've encountered. It isn't up to me to criticize how people like to fish, how they choose to spend their money, and what equipment/kayak they prefer. I like the folks on Snagged line and how people on here are generally very positive and helpful.

I'm not sure I would ever put a weedwacker trolling motor on my kayak. I fish the WSSC reservoirs and gas motors are not allowed. I also don't think I want the weedwacker engine noise.

To me it sounds like the most economical way for you to go would be to purchase a modified V jon boat with a small gas outboard engine.

I'm cheap so I've purchased all of my kayaks used. I'd love to get a mirage drive Revo 11 or Native kayak with the propel system. But I'm cheap and have a kid in college and just paid for my daughter's wedding this summer. So I'll have to wait and hope I can find a cheap pedal powered kayak one day on the used market.

I've owned a 16 ft. jon boat with an outboard jet and it has advantages and disadvantages. I think a pedal powered kayak would increase my range, yet still offer the simplicity and ease of transport that I like with kayaks. As I age and my body fails, I can see how I may have to give up kayaking and move onto a boat.

Comment

The links you put up are interesting, it looks like they're essentially retrofitted weed whackers, which are very noisy. That's the main drawback I see (would defeat whatever advantage the silent kayak gives to trolling). If you want to go gas motor I would just say to look for a used jon boat and motor combo. It might be pricier than the motor alone that you're looking at, but it'll give you even better range and capability than a kayak; you wouldn't have to worry about ever breaking down your kayak, you could just have the boat hooked to a trailer, and ready to go for when you want to go further than you would with a kayak. You'll already be dealing with the hassles of gas, oil, and all that by that point, so might as well just get a small jon boat and motor, it'll be the same maintenance-wise as a kayak with a gas motor.

Comment

Okay let's try this again. I am not bashing the Purist. In fact I am just stating that before you state that a motor on a kayak is not in the spirit of kayaking then neither is propelled kayak. I mean, the kayaks of today are sit on top made of plastic have Electronics rod holders comfy seat and so on. They are not made of animal hide or oiled canvas stretched over a wooden skeleton. As for fishing in WSSC water I would keep the electric trolling motor. I'm just talking about being on the bay and its tributaries.

I understand that some may say get a John boat, however I already have a Kayak. I can soft launch it from anywhere. I don't have to pay for a trailer or the registration. Also you may think of them as a weed whacker motor, but a 50cc is equal to 2.5 HP. Oh and the noise is an easy fix. You just direct the exhaust down to the water.
            Last edited by Steve6902; 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

You could also use the jon boat (if it's long enough) to mothership your kayak out to further offshore waters, in the bay or the ocean, anchor it, and then deploy your kayak and troll (with electric motor or paddle) around it, so you'd have the advantage of a kayak in terms of noise, and the distance/speed of the jon boat. You could go out with 1 other person and then they could just fish around with the jon boat, and you maintain radio contact, and then just meet at the end of the day. My friend's picking up an early 90s grady 21' boat, I doubt he knows the plans I've got in store for it....

Comment

There was a gentleman at the SRRKC meeting last night that said the same idea - Use the boat as the mothership for the kayak in deep water.

I'm relatively new to kayaking, but with all the different models and options, I think the 'Purist' was directed at the small percentage of people who still think that a KAYAK should be self-propelled via oar assist only.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Not sure how stable your kayak is, but adding a gas powered motor might affect your stability on the water, requiring extra expenses to make up for the instability, such as amas. It could be more advantageous to sell your yak and upgrade to a used Hobie. There's plenty for sale out there in the $1,000-$2,000 range. 60 Lbs is a lot of extra weight on a yak, especially if you're not paddling. Most people use a motor as an assist option, so I'd evaluate how much you enjoy paddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  J

Comment

Definitely a modified v jon boat with a motor is the way to go. I understand the situation and that's my helpful opinion....you asked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                      Okay let's try this again. I am not bashing the Purist. In fact I am just stating that before you state that a motor on a kayak is not in the spirit of kayaking then neither is propelled kayak. I mean, the kayaks of today are sit on top made of plastic have Electronics rod holders comfy seat and so on. They are not made of animal hide or oiled canvas stretched over a wooden skeleton. As for fishing in WSSC water I would keep the electric trolling motor. I'm just talking about being on the bay and its tributaries.

I understand that some may say get a John boat, however I already have a Kayak. I can soft launch it from anywhere. I don't have to pay for a trailer or the registration. Also you may think of them as a weed whacker motor, but a 50cc is equal to 2.5 HP. Oh and the noise is an easy fix. You just direct the exhaust down to the water.
                      You state you wont have to pay for registration of a trailer if you get a boat...however powering your kayak w any kind of motor, electric or gas...you re required to register the yak and get decals like all other power boats.
                      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I have already registered my Sea Ghost for I have a battery powered trolling motor on it now. It cost me $55 bucks to do it AND after that it is FREE. I just have to request the stickers every 2 years. You just have to be 2.5 HP or less in engine size. I do like the mothership idea but do not feel that it will work for me. I will also add that I really like the new Wilderness Radar 135.
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Jman, Good point. I might have to put some outriggers on it for the stability factor. But then it's more weight and crap to carry.
                          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

There's also the perception pilot that's "only" 1700. Do you know how much range increases when you switch to a pedal vs a paddle powered yak? I've always been curious as to how far someone could go before getting really fatigued, given that they're in good physical shape.

Comment

Steve, I'd suggest upgrading to a lithium battery.

Sure, they are costly. Other than that, the downsides are limited when weighed against the positives. They're smaller, lighter, charges last longer than a big heavy SLA battery, and the battery itself lasts a lot longer than a SLA battery. The large capacity batteries weigh in around the same as that gas motor.

By the time you put it the effort, time and money to convert to gas, it very well may be worth the steep cost of a good lithium battery.

I've never seen anything with gas power in person, but the stuff I've seen on the web looks cool and fun. I am building a motor mount for a trolling motor for a Trident 13 and will run a big lithium battery. I think all of the kayak manufacturers that offer electric options use that type battery and torqueedo motors. They are proven. And they last.

If it's possible, that's all I would change. It's money well spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X