Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live lining for rockfish with spot.

Hi gang,
    Planning to get out to Thomas point on Friday in the early morning if I can grab one of the day passes from quiet waters. I want to try live lining with spot. I have never done this before. I watched some of the you tube videos and these guys make it look easy. I am sure it is not.
    My question is where to catch spot on Thomas point? I understand they school in about 10' of water - near shore, and love cover. I set up my light wieght rod with 15# fluro drop line as a leader with #4 hooks and a 1 oz sinker. Any pointers?

If I get my spot I plan to live line for the Rockfish. Thinking about a 6/0 circle hook on a fish finder rig. Heavier rod of course and 30# hi-viz on the reel. I got 30# fluro as a leader on that set up. Again, any pointers/suggestions?

Thanks,
    PudgyPrawn
    Ascend FS10

I used to liveline a bunch when I worked and fished off a charter boat that runs out of Chesapeake beach. You can hook them in a couple different areas, I like to hook them below the dorsal fin, right below and in front of it actually, maybe a cm down. Honestly, if you can find a tackle shop on your way to the fishing spot, I believe live spot are only about $1.50 now, so if you bought a few and kept them in a live well, it would free up time to fish and not change plans if you cant catch any (not sure if you have a livewell or bucket, but they sell buckets and aerators at most tackle shops too). And when rockfish are hungry enough, they'll even take a dead spot, or half of one, but it's important to always have 1 rod out with a lively one, at least. Fishfinder rigs are the way to go, and you don't need much weight, so a 1 oz or even a 1/2 oz should be plenty, just enough to keep the spot in the same general area while swimming freely. Too much weight will tire the fish out and it'll be crab bait in no time. Also it's a good idea when you get to the spot that you'll live line at, if you've got extra spot or even minnows, to just toss a few out, and start to draw in fish. But I know you obviously won't be doing that too much if spot are $1.50 a pop

Comment

Are spot still around up this way this late?
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Be careful bottom fishing at Thomas Point Park. Most guys catch big stripers off of the left corner at the point. And mostly on top water poppers and spooks (among other large popping and walking style topwater baits). The problem with bottom fishing the "hot Spot" is that the bottom is very very rocky off the point to both sides making snags inevitable. Especially with a nice sized spot swimming around down there. Not saying it cannot be done, but I have lost more bottom rigs, weights, hooks and bait than I can shake a stick at there.

Just look for the tightly packed group of fishermen standing towards the left of the point. They're almost always there, walking and popping above the rocks. Good luck!

Comment

Base your weight on current. Spot generally swim around and find danger, that is what you want them to do. If the current is running stong, you'll need some weight to get them down. 1/2 ounce should be enough. Otherwise, the weight just puts them on the bottom and they can't find trouble. So if current is slow, use no weight. Let your spot down and watch the line. If a rockfish bites, you will feel the "thump". The line will stop being erratic and will slowly move. Do a 10 second count off, reel in the slack, and then put the pressure on the fish to engage the circle hook. It takes time for the rockfish to turn the spot around and start swallowing. So don't set the hook to early.
          Green Old Town Loon 111
          Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Thanks! That helps greatly.
            PP
            Ascend FS10

Comment

Working...
            X