Wye River, Monday 10/3/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye River, Monday 10/3/16

Mondays on the Wye River (Bennett Point Landing side) are becoming a habit, maybe an addiction. I launched about 2:45 pm to hit the incoming starting @3:30 pm. To kill a little time, I checked for crabs on the pilings nearby. There are still a few doublers and lazy sooks here and there but the cooler wetter weather has put a damper on netting 6-12 crabs easily. Same with bottom fishing for w perch. They aren't around the piers as much, and like the crabs, most have headed to deeper holes.

Last week, I caught at least six specs, lost a fat 18-20 incher at the boat, and released two that were 13 inches, just under the 14" legal size. Nary a spec was seen or heard from in those parts yesterday.

But no worries. The striper action more than made up for lack of specs, perch, and crabs. I caught at least 10 in the 12-14 inch range, then a fat 18 incher. Then, I broke the cardinal rule of fishing; I left that area to return to the scene of the crime of losing the diesel trout across the river on the Wye Island side. No dice on the island side, nada.

Having been chastened to never again break the cardinal sin of fishing, I headed back to the landing side, trolling along the way. When I was about 100-150 yards off shore I noticed the water starting to change. There were smooth areas, then ripples bit not from bunker. I just knew something big was going on beneath the surface. Sure enough when my lures crossed into that area, both rods went down hard. I picked the rod with the white 1/4 oz jig and chartreuse Gulp and spent the next 5-7 minutes battling a fat 23 incher, which happens to be my PB from a kayak. The other rod had a 1 oz silver Kastmaster with one cut down treble hook. He was about a 15 incher and was fine after hanging out awhile while I landed his Dad.

After that, the bite slowed as the tide went slack. However, around dusk I did notice a lot of surface activity. I will have to try my hand at dusk topwater next time.

I like that launch a lot. You don't have to paddle far at all to get to where the action is. I have a sense that a lot of the Wye River is like that, particularly towards the mouth at Eastern Bay. I will post a couple of pics soon.

Steve
    Wilderness System
    Pungo 120

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-04-2016, 06:05 PM.

Way to go on your PB!
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
      Way to go on your PB!
      Thanks J. I am getting better at reading the water surface, looking for tide rips, slicks, and areas that just look different for some reason. Normally there's fish there.

Comment

Working...
      X