Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly tying guys??

Does anyone here tie flies?
    I can usually get some good duck feathers and animal hairs if you need some.
    It's that time of year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just beginning to learn. Have a vice and am working on gathering tools and materials. So I could take anything, since I'm starting from zero.
    Tom

Comment

I tie and have done so for years. Thanks for the offer but have lots. If you save anything deer tails are great for a lot of different saltwater flies.

Comment

If Dan Marino is just starting out anything you can give him will be great. i know when I started it looked like a second mortgage was needed...well not that bad but anything you can give him will help him out!

eyedaddy

Comment

Cool, I'll start saving stuff soon and catch up with him

Comment

I have access to both chicken and peacock feathers if anyone wants some of them. Peacocks are far harder to come but I could spare a few eye feathers.

I am also going to start fly tying. I am working backwards, learning to tie first then maybe getting a fly rod.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

If we get a few together who want to learn to fly tie I know I can set something up at bass pro and give a getting started in fly tying if you guys or girls are interested.
              Harry

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                If we get a few together who want to learn to fly tie I know I can set something up at bass pro and give a getting started in fly tying if you guys or girls are interested.
                Harry
                That could be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                  I have access to both chicken and peacock feathers if anyone wants some of them. Peacocks are far harder to come but I could spare a few eye feathers.

I am also going to start fly tying. I am working backwards, learning to tie first then maybe getting a fly rod.
                  Free State Fly Fishers of Maryland has free Fly tying classes the first Saturday of the month at their club house in Davidsonville, Md. if you are interested. They are a great bunch of guys and tie everything from Trout to Saltwater and all flies in between. "On The Fly" also does a Great job at Bass Pro Shop. If you want some more info feel free to contact me.

eyedaddy

Comment

Yes, free state are some nice folks as well as skilled tyiers. So whatever works for the most folks.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                      Harry
                      That's really nice of you, Harry. I would be glad to assist you if you needed it. Also, eyedaddy mentioned FSFF. They have sponsored the fly fishing division and tied the flies presented as prizes at the CBKA tournament the past two years. They have some extremely talented tiers as members. Some of them tie elaborate creations.

For those who may be intimidated by the process, I would say that three of the easiest flies to tie, the Clouser Minnow, the crystal bugger and the wooly bugger will catch most of the fish regularly discussed here. Once you master one or more of them, you're set. You don't need a large variety of flies to successfully fly fish from your kayak.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        That's really nice of you, Harry. I would be glad to assist you if you needed it. Also, eyedaddy mentioned FSFF. They have sponsored the fly fishing division and tied the flies presented as prizes at the CBKA tournament the past two years. They have some extremely talented tiers as members. Some of them tie elaborate creations.

For those who may be intimidated by the process, I would say that three of the easiest flies to tie, the Clouser Minnow, the crystal bugger and the wooly bugger will catch most of the fish regularly discussed here. Once you master one or more of them, you're set. You don't need a large variety of flies to successfully fly fish from your kayak.
                        That is very true. If people want have it at bass pro you can certainly help.
                        Harry

Comment

I was going to try thing some Bucktails. I would take some of the duck feathers and anything else your willing to send my way.

Thanks,
                          PudgyPrawn
                          Ascend FS10

Comment

Working...
                          X