Left hand threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hand threads

You can always tell an inside machinist...I installed the Yak Attack gear rails on my new kayak and used 1.5 inch RAM screwballs to attach Revolution rod holders- the Starboard side works like gangbusters- not so for the port side rod holder- the problem is the torque of a fish strike looses right handed threads on the mount bolt in the screwball- no way around that- doesn't matter if you use a Scotty gear head or any other mount- the torque from the strike does exactly the same thing- simple solution (are you listening Luther?) offer a left handed threaded Ram Screwball- then the strike does the same thing as the starboard side- it tightens instead of loosening....Since I have a regular Ram 1.5 inch ball, I will simply drill a 5/16th hole in the bottom center of the ball and use a 3/8-16 left hand tap to cut the threads and make a 3/8-16 left hand threaded 316 stainless bolt out of a 7/16 stainless bolt, grind the head down to fit the rail slot and fix the problem...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-29-2016, 07:00 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron -

When I first rigged my Native Slayer Propel 13 kayak with rod holders, I started off using the cylindrical Scotty gear track rod holder bases.

004.jpg 001_2.jpg
    Like you, I soon realized that the gear track bases tighten in a clockwise direction. I fish with the front rods out at a 45 deg angle to the front. If a fish hits the right side line, it pulls back, and the base rotates in a clockwise direction tightening the base. However, when a fish hits the left side, the bases rotates counter-clockwise and loosens the base. I have had the rod holder rotate back at me quickly and almost lost the rod.

I made a further revision that involves getting two Native track slugs (you could use any brand of these as long as you can thread a bolt into them).

008.jpg

and bolting a standard Scotty base to them.

006.jpg

That way there is no rotation any longer. The basic setup with the cylindrical bases is fine unless you are targeting large and strong fish. But for additional security, modify the system to use a fixed base (at least on the left side).

007.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

There is more than one way to skin a cat, John...being a machinists, my solution is mechanical one using the exact same system- just reversing the threads so that the torque of a fish strike tightens the ball in the trac- my left handed tap and die set should be delivered by UPS Friday- so I should have this problem fixed by Saturday...I discovered that instead of making a 3/8 stainless bolt from a 7/16th bolt- just buy a longer 3/8 bolt that isn't threaded all the way and cut off the threads- taper the end so the die set can get started cutting the new left hand threads on the unthreaded bolt and cut the threads all the way to the bolt face- piece of cake-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-29-2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Good luck with that -- you have a mechanical skill set beyond my capabilities.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You'd think that Scotty and Ram would be aware of the issue and offer left-hand threads.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I sent Scotty, Ram and YakAttack a complete description of the problem and a detailed explanation on how to make a simple, foolproof fix by offering a left handed threaded screwball and bolt without asking for anything in return-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              I sent Scotty, Ram and YakAttack a complete description of the problem and a detailed explanation on how to make a simple, foolproof fix by offering a left handed threaded screwball and bolt without asking for anything in return-
              A new easy-to-make product and marketing opportunity. They should jump on that.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Probably figured it would not be a big seller and not worth the costs of tooling

Comment

Working...
                X