Homeport Farm Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeport Farm Park

John Rentch, John Veil and I launched at Homeport Farm Park in Edgewater this morning. I believe the launch site dropped us into Church Creek.

It was my first time there and I was extremely impressed with the area.

There is ample shoreline in protected waters to test. This point is not far from the launch:

P1020166.jpg

It's hard to not get excited by the variety of structure in this cove:

P1020168.jpg

And reeds and other plant growth at the water's edge are plentiful:

P1020171.jpg

My two compatriots spent considerable time trolling with good results. I saw lots of splashes behind their kayaks as they reeled in stripers in the middle of the creek.

Here goes John Veil with the fish underneath no doubt breathing sigh of relief to see him pass without being attached to one of his lines:

P1020174.jpg

John Rentch was unhooking a 19.5 inch striper here:

P1020180.jpg

Me...I should have trolled more. I was too intrigued by the inviting shorelines and tossed many fruitless casts toward them. I managed only 7 perch and two small stripers for my efforts.

Here's a typical perch for me today:

P1020182.jpg

But I am excited about a new area to fish and I feel certain Homeport Farm Park will be kinder to me on my next visit.

Lastly, we ran into Harlan during our travels on the creek today. I believe he zeroed in our Channel 68 chatter to find us. It was good to chat with you Harlan and I hope your trip across the South River produced good catches for you.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

It was a pleasant calm morning. I trolled for the first 90 min catching 7 stripers to 19.5" and one tiny speckled trout. Early on, with the heavy overcast conditions, the rod with a dark paddletail was hit most often. Later after the sun came out, the white and chartreuse plastics were hit too.

For my last hour, I cast a Bignose spinner to shorelines. Quite a few promising stretches of shoreline produced no perch today. I finally found one good stretch and ended with ten of them -- the last two measured out at 10" and 11".
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Been a long time ng time since I've been to that area. I went right around the time the site opened up. Very pretty place indeed. Thanks for reminding me of it. I should visit it again...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

As Mark said, this is a real gem of a launch. Lots of shoreline that hold WP, plenty of baitfish, and Stripers that chase them. I ended up 8 Stripers, the largest being 20".
        2016-09-27 11.20.27.jpg

Had a great day with my fishing buddies. Hope to get back mid Oct for some bigger ones!
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

There is a long dirt path to the water, a bit rustic and the grade is more than slight. A cart is essential. But I've been on much harder access paths at other launches. I think the waters are worth the trek. I look forward to a return.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X