Wye River. Fri., Sept 23 & Mon., Sept 26, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye River. Fri., Sept 23 & Mon., Sept 26, 2016

I've been a laggard around here as far as adding reports this season. I've just been too busy with various projects, both personal and work. I finally got away on both Friday and Monday to the Bennett Point Road Landing which accesses the Wye River.

Friday was a nice sunny and warm day. I went with a friend and must have missed the best tide. We crabbed mostly, getting eleven keeper males off of the pilings near the landing. There's nothing like Wye River crabs! I did manage a few perch, and a fat twelve incher.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

By Monday, the weather had changed dramatically. It was cloudy and in the low 60's the entire day, and the wind was a consistent 10 - 15 mph from the east. I launched about 8:45 am, paddled north and trolled the usual shoreline spots on the landing side. Without much action except a few dink stripers, I crossed the River and trolled the Wye Island shoreline, first heading south and getting more throw-back of various sizes, and then upriver. One of my rods is stiff, only a little over 5 feet, but it doubled over. It was the heaviest fish I think I've ever felt, and the rod was pretty much doubled over the whole time. I thought it was a very large keeper striper. I got it close to the boat, and it was a very large speckled trout; at least 18 inches, maybe over 20 or more! I then made a fatal mistake, I tried to lift it in the boat just as it was thrashing about, and it shook the hook right off!

Specs have teeth, so I couldn't grab the lip. Their mouths are fairly soft too (their whole bodies are sort of squishy), so specs really require a net to get them safely in the boat. I have a net, and it will certainly come with me next time. We live and learn.

I caught a lot of fish yesterday, and probably more specs of decent size, (10-12 inches, no keepers), then stripers which were mostly dinks, although I did manage a fat and healthy 18 incher which I was sure was a keeper until I measured him.

So the moral is bring a net, even a crab net would work. Speaking of crabs, I brought home four Wye River jimmies and had them for dinner, so I didn't go hungry after all.

Fishinfool
    Wilderness System
    Pungo 1200

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-27-2016, 12:35 PM.

Great report and nice pics. Those specs are nice. They can really slam that rod. I thought the same thing on an 18 incher until I pulled it out I thought I had a striper

Yak67
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Steve -

Sorry you did not land that large spec. My kayak fishing guide in Tampa never uses a net for specks, reds, or snook. He slides his hand down the leader to near the lure, then places the other hand under the fish's belly. A quick lift and the fish is onboard. I have used that method successfully some times (not every time -- I am still learning and building my confidence in the technique).
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Lip gripper works...but nothing beats a net for specks- their tissue thin membrane in their mouths tear easily- big gator trout fight really hard, too- soft tipped rods and light drags...time for the mirror-lures
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          Great report and nice pics. Those specs are nice. They can really slam that rod. I thought the same thing on an 18 incher until I pulled it out I thought I had a striper

Yak67
          2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Thanks Yak 67! It's funny, most of the other specs I've caught this summer hit hard at first, and then weren't good fighters coming in. I suppose size has a lot to do with it.

It's nice to have another specie in the same habitat hitting the same jigs that stripers hit. A good eating fish too!

Comment

Thanks for the tips Gents, but now I am totally confused, LOL. Never used a lip gripper, and the idea of putting my hand under a large trout thrashing a hook around makes me a bit skittish. I think I'll try my small net, and try not to get it tangled with everything else in the cockpit.

I really hope I can get out more this coming month. October has always been good to me, and I've yet to even land a keeper striper this season. The fishing seems particularly good all around this season.

Tight lines all!

Comment

Working...
            X