Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/27/16 Mid Severn River

A little bit about myself.

I live in Crownsville MD and have for the past 30 years. I started fishing at a very young age in this exact river and loved it ever since. Never is there a day I don't want to be on the water, no matter what the conditions.

A few years ago I started stand up paddleboarding for the excersize to keep myself somewhat fit. As I was paddling along I found that I can control my speed fairly easily and could definitely paddle faster than a rockfish's lure trolling speed. So, I take a rod out with me one day and cast a lure out behind me and set a very light drag. It couldn't have been 10 minutes later that my drag starts singing to me! I set my paddle down, grabbed the rod, and reeled it in very carefully. I get the fish up to the side of my board and at this point I was a bit perplexed on how I should go about landing it. I never thought I'd actually catch a fish, let alone a a good sized keeper. So I grab the line close to the lure and land him on my board. I grab him by his lower lip and unhook him. Adrenaline was pumping and there I was sitting on my board, in the middle of the Severn River, with a 21" rockfish strapped down to the front of my board along with my lifejacket. I took the fish home, filleted it, and had an amazingly, satisfying, delicious dinner with my wife and son.

Since then I've stepped up my game with the gear that's strapped to my board, "rods" (not only one rod anymore), and locations. I'm catching fish every day before work and still getting the excersize that I primarily go out for.

Here is a shot of triplet 21's I caught at different times within a half hour this morning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's very cool that you're fishing off your paddle board. Thanks for sharing!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
      🍻

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
        I hope to see more sup fishers out there in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
          A little bit about myself.

I live in Crownsville MD and have for the past 30 years. I started fishing at a very young age in this exact river and loved it ever since. Never is there a day I don't want to be on the water, no matter what the conditions.

A few years ago I started stand up paddleboarding for the excersize to keep myself somewhat fit. As I was paddling along I found that I can control my speed fairly easily and could definitely paddle faster than a rockfish's lure trolling speed. So, I take a rod out with me one day and cast a lure out behind me and set a very light drag. It couldn't have been 10 minutes later that my drag starts singing to me! I set my paddle down, grabbed the rod, and reeled it in very carefully. I get the fish up to the side of my board and at this point I was a bit perplexed on how I should go about landing it. I never thought I'd actually catch a fish, let alone a a good sized keeper. So I grab the line close to the lure and land him on my board. I grab him by his lower lip and unhook him. Adrenaline was pumping and there I was sitting on my board, in the middle of the Severn River, with a 21" rockfish strapped down to the front of my board along with my lifejacket. I took the fish home, filleted it, and had an amazingly, satisfying, delicious dinner with my wife and son.

Since then I've stepped up my game with the gear that's strapped to my board, "rods" (not only one rod anymore), and locations. I'm catching fish every day before work and still getting the excersize that I primarily go out for.

Here is a shot of triplet 21's I caught at different times within a half hour this morning.

That's great! Maybe for old buzzards like yours truly who have about a 3 hour window due to back issues could do both in the same day. Sit in the am, stand in the afternoon, and double the catch!

BTW, The daily limit on Maryland is two stripers over 20 inches. I think you likely know that, but if not, the fine is very stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
            That's great! Maybe for old buzzards like yours truly who have about a 3 hour window due to back issues could do both in the same day. Sit in the am, stand in the afternoon, and double the catch!

BTW, The daily limit on Maryland is two stripers over 20 inches. I think you likely know that, but if not, the fine is very stiff.
            Yeah, it would definitely give your back a rest of the same sitting position if you try out the sup. And yes, I know the regs for fish and I probably should've stated in my original post that the fish in my fish grips was set free after his photo shoot.

Comment

thanks for sharing your story, you're so lucky you can fish everyday before work. do you live on the water?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                thanks for sharing your story, you're so lucky you can fish everyday before work. do you live on the water?
                No I don't live on the water but am fortunate enough to live in a community that has water access.

Comment

You've really perfected your approach as evidenced by the photos you've been posting.

Very impressive.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    You've really perfected your approach as evidenced by the photos you've been posting.

Very impressive.
                    Thank you very much. Hope to fish with you guys in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                    X