Watch "Sup fishing attempt @ Jonas Green launch 9/26/16" on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch "Sup fishing attempt @ Jonas Green launch 9/26/16" on YouTube

So I arrive at Jonas Green Park at 6:30 and met a couple of other guys from this forum. They decide they're going to another location due to the winds and seas. I should've followed suit but thought since I was there I could atleast try launching.

I launch with no problem and start rounding the point to head out towards the mouth. With every scoop of my paddle I feel the winds getting stronger and my board cresting the swells higher and higher. With a nice head wind of 15-25mph and 1-2ft seas I knew this would definitely be more work than fun so I turned and headed back. One day I will get out there but today just wasn't that day.

There's a part in this video of me loosing balance from a swell coming from behind.... it's pretty funny. Haha!

https://youtu.be/m0g7vGyIlYs

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

After I loaded back up I drove to my normal location on the Severn (5-6 miles up river from Jonas Green), which was not effected by the bay's wrath, and fished for a little over an hour. Landed a handful of 15"-18" stripers and this nice 22 incher. All caught on 1oz. bucktail jigs with 5 inch paddle tails and shads.

This 15 incher was deciding on whether he was a fish or a chipmunk that was saving food in his cheek for later.

Comment

You have been fortunate to have larger fish in your home section of the river this summer. Those larger fish are beginning to move into the lower end of the river now. It was definitely not a good day to head downstream from Jonas Green. There should be plenty of other calmer days coming up.

Good job on finding keepers. Most of us fishing out of Weems Creek eventually got one or two keepers too.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yes, very fortunate! Yeah, after passing the protection of the point I knew it wasn't going to end well if I stayed. Congrats, to you as well. If you're ever in Crownsville with your vessel, let me know and maybe we can hook up to some fish up here.

Comment

It was nice meeting you this morning and seeing your setup. You have a great system.

I think you were brave to venture south. The water was definitely calmer in the other direction.

Congrats on finding keeper fish at your normal haunts.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            It was nice meeting you this morning and seeing your setup. You have a great system.

I think you were brave to venture south. The water was definitely calmer in the other direction.

Congrats on finding keeper fish at your normal haunts.
            You too Mark and thank you.

Comment

I was talking with you at JG this morning. You certainly have balance on that board, I would have been in the water in the first 30 seconds. You would have enjoyed WEems, it was almost flat away from the mouth. Hope to see you again under better conditions.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

It was awesome to meet you too John and everyone else I met this morning. I really appreciate you guys being so welcoming to your kayaking group! Very cool to be around other avid fishermen with the same goals... and with paddles. And I'm pretty sure that "bait ball" was the guy I met when I almost took my plunge.

Comment

Think it was.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                  X