Severn 9/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn 9/26

Bait ball and myself launched from Jonas green around 6:30 this morning and the winds had already started. He went east I went west. Shortly after J. Reinch, mark, j. Veil all chose to launch at Tucker street. They were on some fish pretty quickly. I went to maneresa pond and caught over a couple dozen perch and deceived to try for some stripers. Trolled for a while and caught up with everyone near weeks. I headed in and caught one 15" and another 20" near Jonas. Was getting rough but still a good day fishing. I will leave the others to post their own success. I did hear a couple others catching keepers with j. Veil with a couple blues

.P1010448.jpg

I had my first fish on ten seconds after I deployed that rod -- I had not yet settled into a pedaling rhythm yet. Over the next 3.5 hours, I got 20 stripers, but only two keepers (20" and 21") and two 15" bluefish. There was another big one that got away. It pulled so hard on the lure that the rod flipped up and back then wedged in the Scotty rod holder. I strained to get the rod loose while the fish continued shaking. Finally the rod came loose with a chunk of the cork from the rod butt flying off into the water. By that time, the fish was gone.

001.jpg 002.jpg

Today I trolled paddletails on four rods. Two had 1/2-oz heads, one had 1/4-oz, and the fourth one had a 1-oz head. I caught fish on all rods. Water depths ranged from 4 ft to 18'. I fished for about two hours leading up to high tide and the 1.5 hours after high tide. The bite slowed for 30-45 mins as the tide went slack.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I launched at Jonas at 8 am and quickly decided not to go towards the Bay because of the winds and waves. Trolled across towards Weems where I met J and others trolling. I picked up a few perch trolling as well as some small stripers. After about two hours I headed back towards the Rt 450 bridge hugging the docks just past Weems. A very fat and feisty 18" Rock took my rattletrap in 10' of water and put up a great fight. Once I took his pic and let him go, I headed back to Jonas. image.jpg

Comment

Nice catches! My girlfriend and I fished the same area both Friday and yesterday morning and caught plenty of stripers up to 19.5". Keepers have remained elusive so far this fall, but hope for that to improve once the water cools down some more. Tight lines!
        image.jpg image.jpg
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Yep...the Severn looked a little dicey for my tastes from Jonas so I launched with John V. and John R. in Weems. I fished Weems and Cove of Cork and trolled in the Severn in between those two tributaries.

The sky presented us with a glorious light show this morning:

P1020154.jpg P1020163.jpg

The fish aimed to please also. I caught three separate Severn Slams -- striper, white perch and pickerel.

My largest white perch was this guy at 11 inches:

P1020155.jpg

My largest pickerel was this fellow at 18 inches:

P1020158.jpg

He was not at all pleased with his situation. He jumped twice from my Hawg Trough, tap danced at my feet for a while and also jumped back into the water until I retrieved and subdued him for his Snaggedline photo op.

I had an audience for my wrestling match with the pickerel:

P1020162.jpg

This little striper completed my first slam:

P1020160.jpg

I later caught a 20 inch striper trolling a 1/2 inch jig head and 3 inch paddletail near the mouth of Weems. Unfortunately my camera battery died. That fish was spitting up baitfish as I reeled it in. There is plenty of bait in the river and tidal creeks at the moment.

Altogether I caught 20 white perch, 11 stripers and 3 pickerels in slightly over 3 hours of fishing. All but three stripers which I got trolling were caught on 1/8 oz. jig spinners close to shorelines. In fact, right now stripers, pickerels and white perch are sharing the same spots in the tidal creeks. I caught one of each species on consecutive casts in an area no larger than a 3 foot circle. The stripers were 14 to 15 inches except for the 20 incher I got trolling. One pickerel was a hammer handle and the other was 15 inches.

This is great time of year if you like casting to shorelines and structure and if you like action and surprises. It can be white perch, white perch, white perch and then bam...striper or pickerel.

And a 49 inch combined Severn Slam is pretty good. I was pleased. Bigger stripers are moving into the creeks daily so I'm hoping for a 50 inch plus slam before the white perch depart.
          Last edited by Mark; 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome job and great catches. Hope to see you guys on a much calmer morning out of Jonas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrived at Jonas at 6:30 and Harry was already n the water. Looked at the water conditions and decided with Mark, not today. Headed over to Tucker and fished Weems rest of the morning. Worked the lower end and landed 6 Stripers between 14-18". Good morning on the creek.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice work guys. It looked too windy for me this morning so I drove to Wheatly Lake to scout it out, spent 5 hours to catch a single small bass. Should have thought to launch at Weems or somewhere else sheltered around here.
                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Harry, the Johns, Al, and others, it was great fun fishing with all of you yesterday.
                  Yes, the wind made any excursion to the mouth of the Severn an exercise in futility (even at 6:30am) but all-in-all, it was a great day to be on the water.
                  I finished the day with one keeper rock (20.5"), and about dozen of his smaller cousins. The closest I got to getting my limit was a second fish at 19". Both of these larger fish were active in the early morning; after the sun had fully come up, it was only schoolies for me.
                  Hope to see everyone out there again soon.
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                    Harry, the Johns, Al, and others, it was great fun fishing with all of you yesterday.
                    Yes, the wind made any excursion to the mouth of the Severn an exercise in futility (even at 6:30am) but all-in-all, it was a great day to be on the water...Hope to see everyone out there again soon.
                    Manny,

Is this you?

P1020164.jpg

Please do join us again.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Manny,

Is this you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20073[/ATTACH]

Please do join us again.
                      Yes that is him.
                      Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Manny,

Is this you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20073[/ATTACH]

Please do join us again.
                        Yes Mark, that's me. Thanks for passing the pic along.
                        -manny

Hobie Outback
                        Wilderness Systems 130T
                        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

BTW, I have a few hours tomorrow, Wednesday morning, Sep28 and looking to wet a line - anyone interested?
                          -manny

Hobie Outback
                          Wilderness Systems 130T
                          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                            Yes Mark, that's me. Thanks for passing the pic along.
                            You're very welcome.

Right after I took your photo my camera battery died.

Glad I caught up to you when I did.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                            X