Trident ultra 4.3 shake down run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident ultra 4.3 shake down run.

After making a 3 hour drive to Richmond, VA. to pick up the kayak all I can say is the whole ride home I was eagerly planning trips already. The ultra has been the kayak I've been searching for since it came out...just couldn't bring myself to drop 1500 dollars on the kayak. (A lot of respect for you hobie owners) Anyways on to my shakedown test!

I took the trip down to Little Seneca lake as it has been my testing ground for new kayaks. There water trail is GREAT. It is a 7 or 8 mile paddle around the lake and I highly recommend it to anyone that gets the time. When I started the lake was like glass with very little wind, which I found made some initial problems for the ultra. The hull has a distinct rocker to it (think banana shape) which makes it great for swells, waves, and aids in turning the kayak. With the little wind and so much rocker I had to really watch my paddle strokes or it would tend to wonder. After the first mile I got a hang of it and was able to shift my weight to one hip and make a sweep stroke to keep on corse. With a small tail wind the kayak kept a decent pace. I used an app to track my speed and was able to paddle at a 4-4.5mph speed no problem. I topped out at 5.1 only slightly slower then my tarpon 140. As the wind picked up and there was a little chop on the water this is where the ultras performance started to shine. In a head wind with a little chop I could keep the kayak going at 3.5mph. I even stood and paddled it for a bit. While not designed for this task it can be done even with my larger 6' 215lb frame. Next weekend It will be put to the test in ocean city! My only complaint so far is the center hatch is pretty wide and your legs will always be touching it. With ocean kayak discontinuing the ultra line you may see some go on sale. If you fish the bay a lot this will make a great kayak! Can't wait to take it to the bridge and hook into some striper! Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

I have a Ultra 4.3, was out at Kent Narrows yesterday, she is a great rough water boat, I have a New Zealand made boat and got the new Zealand OK seat, and also the hinge for the New Zealand hatch, instead of the rotating cover. I agree the top is too wide , crowds my legs I made a starboard cover hinged with my fish finder mounted on it, Love it plenty of room and less bulk. I have a Native Slayer, but love the lighter weight and bow flare that cuts the snotty stuff great......Jack

Comment

Working...
    X