Things are finally looking up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are finally looking up!

I had to work at getting out of bed when the alarm went off at 5am. I knew I would regret it if I didn't. After yesterday's taste, I wanted more.

The river was glassy when I launched at 6:30. I was immediatley into dinks but pushed straight for the mouth. More dinks in front of David Taylor.... No surprises.

Upon arriving at yesterday's hot spot, I found marks, but not of the quality I had seen 24 hours prior. I pulled up a bunch of 12"-14" and I was thinking of relocating or pulling the plug altogether. I did want to wait until the same tide stage as yesterdays bite, so I lingered in other parts of the area and told myself that if one last pass yielded nothing, I would head back to the launch.

When I approached the area, it was clear that the fish had moved in, but were a little deeper than yesterday. They were in 15'-18' FOW on a ledge. The water temp was 75 degrees and the wind were out of the NE at 10-15.

I started catching higher teen fish. Then a keeper at 21". I was making another pass when my starboard rod went down with a ferocity I haven't seen since the spring. I knew instantly that it wasn't the bottom making the drag sing because I could see and feel significant head shakes.

My pulse quickened and I started to think of all the things I needed to do to land and photograph this fish. I quickly remembered how many nice fish I have lost when I allowed myself to get distracted. I stopped doing everything and focused on the task at hand.

By the time it was boatside, I had a flash back of the nice fish I lost during the tournament and did not try and get my grips on until I had flipped her into the boat. Only then did I dig out the measuring board and the camera.

I was pumped when she measured out at 28"!! I knew I wasn't getting home any time soon....

DSCN4221.jpgDSCN4222.jpg

I kept it up and landed more teenagers and a 22". The bite died around 9:30 - just as the tide was approaching slack, so I headed back in and prepared for work with a smile on my face.

The Severn is getting hot as the water cools down!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

That is an outstanding river fish. Well done.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Bruce, great fish. That will keep you in groceries for awhile.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Very nice! I hope to pull a few keepers out of the Severn over the next month or so. If I get a dry suit, I will fish into the winter, but if I can't find a decent price on a used one, I won't venture out too often once the water drops below 60 or so. Though my waders/dry top combo served me pretty well back at the march and april meet and greets, and a few times around then.

Comment

Congratulations Bruce.

I think a prudent investment opportunity would be a parking concession at Jonas Green.

It's about to get very crowded there and for good reason.

Enjoy it everyone!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Bingo!!..... Still medium light?
            Harlan

Revo 13
            Trident 13
            Cuda 14
            Necky Tandem

Comment

Originally posted by harlanbud View Post
              Bingo!!..... Still medium light?
              Oh yeah!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

What weight jig heads do you usually use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                  What weight jig heads do you usually use?

This one was 3/4 oz. The 1/2 I started with wasn't getting it done
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Awesome catch!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice going. Glad to see things are getting better. I may have to switch back to fishing soon.

Comment

Nice, good to see there is some nice fish around.

Comment

A terrific fish Bruce! Getting out of bed was well worth it and made up for the one you lost 2 weeks ago. Made me excited for the fall.

WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Nice pullage, Bruce!

Comment

Solid fish, Bruce. Looking forward to seeing you and others out there the rest of the year. I have not been out much since June so looking forward to getting back out.
                              Michael
                              Washington, DC
                              Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X