Speckled trout in Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speckled trout in Severn

A few days ago MetroMan posted a photo of the trout he caught in the Severn. After some discussion among several commenters, the trout was believed to be a weakfish (grey trout). This morning I spent 4 hours trolling paddletails in the Severn and several creeks. I caught 24 stripers from 12" to 19.5", about a dozen perch (I left them biting), and one surprise catch with spots. I caught a lot of specs last week in Tampa. Initially today's spotted fish did not register as anything unusual -- then I remembered I was no longer in FL. This was a small speck about 12" long. Last year I caught one spec in the Severn -- now I have a streak of two years in a row.

20160920_115150_resized.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Hi John, sounds like a great day. I got a trout at the mouth of the creek leaving homeport on the south River last week. Not much fight but fun and cool to see!!
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem

Comment

Hope to catch one tommorow in Severn. Launching at 7 all welcome. I know the sea trout don't pull hard.
      Harlen don't work tomorrow and join us.

Comment

The tooth fairy migrated north for the AA crowd. Glad to see some finally being caught up there.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          The tooth fairy migrated north for the AA crowd. Glad to see some finally being caught up there.
          You have had a few specs in southern MD. I'm glad we are finally getting a few infrequent visitors up here. Please send some puppy drum too.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very interesting to see a Spec in the Severn (and no doubt it is a Spec). It made me wonder, however, if anyone has ever caught a Rainbow Trout there? Severn Run is stocked with 1200 rainbow trout (years ago it used to be stocked with 3000 rainbow trout) upstream of I97 every year. I have fished for them at the bridge crossings for thirty years. I've often wondered if any got washed down into the tidal area of the river during high spring flows. Anyone ever caught one there?
            Gary G

13' Hobie Revolution

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              You have had a few specs in southern MD. I'm glad we are finally getting a few infrequent visitors up here. Please send some puppy drum too.
              My buddy and I went out on his powerboat this week and he ended up landing a 19" speckled trout in the Choptank. It was the biggest I've ever seen this far north!
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by Gary G View Post
                Very interesting to see a Spec in the Severn (and no doubt it is a Spec). It made me wonder, however, if anyone has ever caught a Rainbow Trout there? Severn Run is stocked with 1200 rainbow trout (years ago it used to be stocked with 3000 rainbow trout) upstream of I97 every year. I have fished for them at the bridge crossings for thirty years. I've often wondered if any got washed down into the tidal area of the river during high spring flows. Anyone ever caught one there?
                I've never heard of anyone ever catching a rainbow trout in the Severn, and I've been fishing it for over 50 years. I am not sure if they could tolerate both warmer temps downstream, or much of an increase in salinity levels.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  The puppy drum are still about another year away, John- depending on what kind of cold winter we get- the subzero winter temps of a few years ago killed millions of reds and specks in the Tidewater region- which is where a lot of our resident fish winter over- they are just now beginning to recover from that massive cold kill off...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                    I've never heard of anyone ever catching a rainbow trout in the Severn, and I've been fishing it for over 50 years. I am not sure if they could tolerate both warmer temps downstream, or much of an increase in salinity levels.
                    I thought Rainbows go into the ocean and become steelheads. I would think it's possible they could be there but they probably move quickly into deeper, cooler waters in early summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Caught this little guy on the South River yesterday morning. I was casting a bignose 1/16oz spinner into the largish baitfish schools that were pushed up against the shore. Got a bunch of fat pearch, some small stripers, then this weird guy.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Welcome to the spec club.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

It's one of those kind of years. On Saturday I hooked a little flounder while perch fishing the Severn in about 3 feet of water with a mini crankbait. My first in the Chesapeake region.

Comment

Working...
                          X