Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last minute trip to Fenwick Island / OC

Hey all,

I am going to find myself with some time to fish on a weekend I thought would be full of family stuff. I will be staying on Fenwick Island and likely fishing Little Assawoman Bay. I am also bringing my surf rod for some ocean side stuff

Can anyone give me any guidance on what I can expect to find there?

Thanks,

Bruce
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Bruce,

The bay up by Fenwick is pretty shallow, but I've had good luck with croaker and some flounder near the Rt. 90 bridge in Ocean City. As far as the surf is concerned, I did very well last Saturday on kingfish, spot, sand perch, and weakfish in the early morning using Fishbites crab or small spot chunks on size 1 circle hooks. Early morning and evening were best.

Best of luck,
    Joe
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I've seen and heard reports in the past that there can be some okay fishing in the ditch that goes under Rt. 54., but I have no personal experience there myself. Croakers, juvenile black drum, and flounder. I've paddled through Little Assawoman before, and like already mentioned, it's a fairly shallow, muddy bottomed bay. I don't know how many quality fish it'll hold? But it's always worth a try to find out!

OC Inlet will have plenty of quality fish though this time of year. But it's also a full moon this weekend and the current will really be ripping, so use caution if you launch to fish the inlet, and check the times for slack current (~ +2 - 2.5 hrs with the tide).

In addition to the what rugbyfish caught in the surf, there should be snapper and tailor blues around and plenty of sharks and rays on big baits. You might even get lucky and have some albies come in. I've heard some whispers of possibly a few schools being seen crashing bait within casting range. They are certainly not a regular thing down here like they are NY and NJ, but every year a few are caught in that area this time of year, so you never know!
      Brian

Comment

i have caught flounder near the 54 bridge in the past from a boat nothing to write home about but worth a try. I have crabbed a lot up that way but not much in the way of fishing though we have pulled seatrout and pickeral up in crab traps.
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Thanks for the intel folks. I was able to get out on my yak for a couple of hours and made my way down to the Rt 54 bridge with no luck. I also tried pitching some tins and poppers in the surf, but came up empty once again. I am brand new to surf fishing, so I took the time to learn my gear and enjoy the beautiful day

After driving around seeking intel from the local shops, I finally wound up on the Rt 50 bridge tossing squid strips on bluefish rigs (another new one for me). The reports from the previous nights incoming tide were that the fish were stacked up and hungry. I guess they were taking a nap after eating all night, because I caught my third skunk in 3 days.....

I able toi fish more than I thought I would, but I didn't catch anything except a good lesson. Still, it beats the hell out of working!!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
          X