Why didn't anyone warn me?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't anyone warn me?!?!

As it turns out, having a baby really is cutting into my fishing time! ...and selling/building a house doesn't help either. I miss you guys and couldn't make it to CBKA this year which was a bummer.
    I was getting out twice a week and now I'm lucky to fish once a month. It'll get better I'm sure, because my little girl will want to fish all day when she turns 1, right?!

Fishing has been good though. Plenty of fish in the main stem since late May, decreasing in quality and now there's mostly dinks. But that's good news becaus the bigger ones are heading shallower now, right in our reach. I've been hoping in boats lately and chasing breakers up and down the bay. Mid bay and around the mouth of ebay have been good, as well as the mouth of the Chester. Follow those locations into the arms of the rivers and it'll set up for some early fall patterns. The meet and greet at Ft smallwood should be a successful time for those going. It's the right place at the right time of year, but if you're not close by, ebay, magothy, severn, susquehanna, chester and the like will all be loaded up with fish over the next couple of months, enjoy!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Congratulations! Yes you will miss some fishing time but over all you will enjoy that addition to your family in ways you can't describe. Enjoy her every second you can then fish when you can...it will all work out!

eyedaddy

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
      Congratulations! Yes you will miss some fishing time but over all you will enjoy that addition to your family in ways you can't describe. Enjoy her every second you can then fish when you can...it will all work out!

eyedaddy
      +1
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

eyedaddy
        +2

Donnie
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          As it turns out, having a baby really is cutting into my fishing time! ...and selling/building a house doesn't help either. I miss you guys and couldn't make it to CBKA this year which was a bummer.
          I was getting out twice a week and now I'm lucky to fish once a month. It'll get better I'm sure, because my little girl will want to fish all day when she turns 1, right?!

Fishing has been good though. Plenty of fish in the main stem since late May, decreasing in quality and now there's mostly dinks. But that's good news becaus the bigger ones are heading shallower now, right in our reach. I've been hoping in boats lately and chasing breakers up and down the bay. Mid bay and around the mouth of ebay have been good, as well as the mouth of the Chester. Follow those locations into the arms of the rivers and it'll set up for some early fall patterns. The meet and greet at Ft smallwood should be a successful time for those going. It's the right place at the right time of year, but if you're not close by, ebay, magothy, severn, susquehanna, chester and the like will all be loaded up with fish over the next couple of months, enjoy!
          I was wondering how the hell you were getting out this spring. I have a baby a little older than yours and I barely made it out twice during prime trophy season. Now she is a little older and I'm getting back out more frequently, so don't worry you will too!
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

You sound just like me!! I renovated my last house before selling it (renovations cut into fishing too!) and I'm temporarily with my in-laws while my new construction is being delayed... I mean finished... no I mean delayed. I have a 2 year old daughter, who doesn't want to fish ever day, sorry to burst that bubble, and a pregnant wife (daugher #2, I'm doomed)....

I guess my point is that I'm extremely sympathetic to your situation... I've had to settle for lake/pond fishing for short bursts at lunch and after work to scratch that itch... my only consolation is that it's been so damn hot that I almost didn't want to fish anyway.
            - Justin
            2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
            2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Alan,

Congratulations on your expanding family.

And for all you Snaggedliners with young children I know from my own child-rearing experience how hard it can be to balance family, career and fun. In fact, I think from observing my own children that the demands on parents today are greater than when I had kids at home.

Yet even for some of us "old guys" it doesn't get easier. Although I'm fortunate to get out perhaps more than those of you with toddlers, I have my own balancing act to perform between the demands of my family's generations.

I have 4 beautiful grandchildren and two of them live right around the corner from me. I often assist with daycare for the youngest who is not in school and I do school bus duty for the first grader -- putting her on the bus and taking her off the bus two days each week. Often they spend entire days and even nights in my house. I love them dearly.

The other generation I care for is my mother-in-law and my father, both of whom are in retirement homes and both of whom are getting a little forgetful in their advanced ages. You know, minor things -- like forgetting to pay bills, not taking their medicine, failing to file with the IRS for the past 3 years. (Really!) So when I'm not visiting them, I'm on the phone with creditors, writing their checks, taking them to their doctors or working with a lawyer and CPA to keep one of them out of jail.

I am truly sandwiched at the moment. I am also extremely fortunate to have long-lived family members and 4 generations attending family gatherings.

I very rarely can go out in my kayak on the spur of the moment. It takes some planning and often some juggling of schedules. I therefore thoroughly enjoy every moment I am on the water.

So I suspect very few of us fish as much as we want. Finding kayak time is never easy. But that just makes it all the more enjoyable when we do.

Again congratulations to those of you with new and growing families. Enjoy these times. They go by fast.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yep, priorities and responsibilities sure do change when the little ones start coming along! Our first child just turned 7 months the other week and it sure has reduced the amount of time I was used to getting out fishing. Fortunately, missing fishing time to raise a child really doesn't bother me at all; as opposed to say work interfering with fishing all the time. I get my fix in here and there and just try to make the most out of the time I do get to spend on the water.
                Brian

Comment

Why didn't anyone warn me?!?!

Congrats! I'm a mom of 3 kids ages 4, 2, and 1 so I feel ya. I take them out paddling a lot. My 4yr old has her own kayak and wants me to set up a rod holder for her little one lol. Definitely not much fishing happening on my own.

ETA: I guess I should mention I'm new to this forum? Didn't look first lol. Hi, I'm Missy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome Aboard Missy

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      Welcome Aboard Missy
                      Thanks

Comment

Welcome Missy to the Greatest blog you will ever find! These folks are Number 1 without a doubt!

Comment

Some really good advice, sprinkle Legos on to your treadmill and run on it barefooted. You will develop calluses that will serve you well for many years to come. Will not help with fishing at all–but you will be ready to take want anything!!
                          Harlan

Revo 13
                          Trident 13
                          Cuda 14
                          Necky Tandem

Comment

Welcome Missy to the Greatest blog you will ever find! These folks are Number 1 without a doubt!
                            Thanks [emoji4]

Comment

It goes quick. Our son started college this year at University of Tampa. Enjoy the family time as much as you can. Fishing will always be there.
                              John
                              Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Working...
                              X