How to Alleviate Hip Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Alleviate Hip Pain

Can anyone offer some tips, or links to equipment that might help with hip pain? I do a lot of stretching, particularly right before starting to fish, so that's not an issue, I'm not sure if it's my seat or what. I also try to sit up as straight as possible, though my legs, particularly my knees, do splay outwards. My right hip is the main culprit, and really starts to get very tight and painful after about 2 hours of paddling, and I try and move my legs to different positions, and that usually makes it bearable for the rest of the trip. This doesn't really happen every trip, but I would say it happens more often than not, but has yet to really cause me to cut a trip short, so it's not horrible. For reference, I've got the harmony zone seating, which comes standard on my perception sound 12.5 sit-in kayak. Didn't know if anyone uses hip braces/pads, and where they're mounted, or if anyone has good experiences from seat pads (which ones?) or if you could recommend any items or change in feet placement, etc. to help me out. Typically I have my foot braces at the farthest setting, but I noticed that alternating between bracing my feet and leaving them off the braces, helps as well. Again, thanks for any help or equipment recommendations.

THe Sound seats are pretty rudimentary. Do you need the braces on the farthest setting? Proper placement would have the ball of your food resting on the braces, pointed only slightly forward and your knees bent, resting on the inner rim of your cockpit. You might also try placing a rolled up towel under your thighs to alter the support there
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

There are definite differences in seat shapes and construction. The Skwoosh company makes gel-filled seats in both pads or in entire clip-in seats with backs. I use a Skwoosh pad on both of my kayak seats. It extends my time before reaching butt fatigue. I also take one on flights and use it on my plane seat.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I haven't had much hip pain from kayaking since switching to the tarpon and Moken seats where I can elevate the backs of my legs (Moken with the wedge style seat) also with getting close to 30 and arthritis that runs in my family I've started to take glucosamine pills to help out with my joints, I can't say it is a fix but I sure can tell when I haven't been taking my pills. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips. Will be trying a variety of things each time I go, hopefully will narrow it down to what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Have you tried taking frequent breaks? If you are fishing in the rivers and creeks you can fish for an hour then beach your kayak get out and stretch for 10-15 minutes then go back to fishing. This has worked for me.

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
            X