Back to Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Basics

Although John Rentch and I each own pedal kayaks, we decided to paddle today in two Severn tributaries. John used his recently acquired Ultimate 12:

P1020098.jpg

And I used mine:

P1020105 (2).jpg

Sometimes it's fun to forego all the ancillary gear, the fishfinder, and the pedals. We went back to basics today. I carried 2 rods, used only one and never even changed lures. In fact, I traveled so lightly, I even forgot my cell phone. That was quite liberating, actually.

If you think as two old guys we stayed in quiet wind-sheltered waters, you're wrong. We crossed the big river twice. Our Ultimates were up to the task and more important, our arms were also. It was breezy and the water was choppy. I took a little water over the bow but not enough to be concerned and of course I think the wind was in our face in both directions.

The white perch were cooperative in both tributaries we fished.

I caught 10 and only a couple were little guys. Most were between 9 and 10 inches:

P1020099.jpg P1020102.jpg

Severn perch rarely disappoint in size or action.

Like these ducks under a tree along the shoreline, the perch preferred shady areas today:

P1020103.jpg

I like fishing for white perch because they're fun on light tackle. They also keep good company. If it's not a pickerel in their immediate neighborhood, it's a striper:

P1020104.jpg

This one was still sporting his summer waistline. I felt guilty cheating him out of a meal. But he gave a good tug on light spinning gear and I hope he finds a belly-filling meal of bunker tonight.

Lastly, I'd like to thank the CBKA tournament organizers and Delaware Paddlesports. Once again, Saturday's tournament was a first class event. The organizers do everything possible to ensure participants have a good time while supporting a worthy cause. The raffle is one of the highlights of the event in my opinion. This year at the Captains' Meeting I saw another well-stocked raffle table with many quality prizes. I purchased my raffle tickets Friday night and I went home thinking of one item...and I won it!

P1020106.jpg

The Werner Camano carbon shaft paddle is a fantastic prize. I thank the CBKA tournament organizers for offering it in the raffle, and Delaware Paddlesports for donating it. I used it for the first time today and immediately noticed the enormous difference a lightweight paddle makes. I am a happy paddler indeed.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-13-2016, 02:51 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I have had a Slayer 10 for 3 years and have outfitted it with the usual accessories for trolling in the Bay Area. I have taken it to more launches in those three years than ever knew existed. It's a wonderful for me (an old retired high school teacher). A couple,of months ago, I purchased an Native Ultimate 12 and now have a new love affair with my kayak. For creek fishing, it's great-stable, easy to paddle and light enough to lug into my truck. As Mark said, we crossed the Severn today twice to fish. Windfinder said it was susposed to be outmof the south 6-10. Well, that forecast was definitely wrong. We managed to get across with a little spray. My arms ached a little as been using my legs on the Slayer, but I think it was me paddling too hard. Still learning the best technique.
    Like Mark, I took two rods, but only used one to land about two dozen WP from the creeks. One thing I have to get used to is the distance this thing coasts. I can maneuver the Slayer with the peddle, but it does not coast at all- which can be good. The Ultimate seems like it can coast forever-still getting used to that.
    I know it sounds like the Ultimate is the only light weight yak out there, but it really works for me. I just look forward to both types of fishing in the future- especially with my friends.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Glad you're already enjoying the new paddle!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Happy you found fish and were able to keep it simple. I need to be more like you when I grow up!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

The Ultimate is an older hull design, but it offers a good ride, light weight, and lots of usable space. It is great as a second kayak for those who use a heavy kayak or a pedal kayak. I'm glad that John and Mark have two kayak options.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great job! Simple is best sometimes, I know that most times I take too much "stuff" you know that "just in case stuff". The best times are when I try to take the bare bones and force myself to make it work and for the most part it does. Leaving the phone home is relaxing!

eyedaddy

Comment

Those are good looking boats. Like a mini canoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you guys had a good time. Sometimes a lighter kayak is the ticket!

Comment

Sounds fun Mark, only thing missing was your fly rod! haha

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    Sounds fun Mark, only thing missing was your fly rod! haha
                    I had pitched a full nine innings at the CBKA tournament with my fly rod.

I needed an off-day from the long rod.

But I have fly fished often from my Ultimate here and from the guide's Ultimate when I go to Tampa.

It's a nice fly fishing boat.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I find that when I use less gear and a lighter kayak I tend to make more trips to the water during the year. Glad you guys got on some fish. A lot of the time I always pair down a lot of gear and if I don't catch fish I just take it in as a "nature day". Usually those days will end up being 8+ mile paddles but the Delmarva area has some of the most beautiful areas to explore! Tight lines!

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
                        I find that when I use less gear and a lighter kayak I tend to make more trips to the water during the year

i think this is sooo true
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                        X