Mallows Bay report 9/11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallows Bay report 9/11/16

I've always wanted to check out Mallows Bay and yesterday was the day! It was blowing 15-20 mph for a good part of the day. After 3-4 pm, the wind died down. Caught 3 blue catfish and 1 small largemouth. Visability was about a foot. I've seen videos of people using chatterbaits. Well I tried everything: chatterbait, stick worms, flukes, and frogs. Water temps were from 81-84 deg. I'll like to know how others fare in that area. I caught the biggest blue catfish on cut shad bait, 2 on black/blue chatterbait, and 1 small bass on a 5 inch green pumpkin in wacko style. Fishing was tough.

Here are some of the pics.

Donnieimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg
    Last edited by Donsail68; 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM.
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Donnie,

I went there once. It was May of 2015.

It's an interesting place with a fascinating history.

You caught four more fish there than I did during my trip. I was really perplexed because structure is plentiful as these photos will attest.

B.jpg C.jpg E.jpg F2.jpg

I threw poppers mostly to avoid snagging the debris from the wrecks just under the surface. I never even got a swirl.

I don't know if I hit it the wrong time of the year, the wrong time of the day or if I was just inept. But I was skunked there.

It looked incredibly fishy but it did not produce for me.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hey Mark

That's why I made this post other than sharing my experience. I was there for almost 12 hours targeting bass and the result is a single 10-11 inch bass. Caught it in that small creek/cove on the right side (looking out from shore) of the ramp. I've seen videos of a guy catching bass after bass on black/blue chatterbait. I just felt I wasn't doing something right.

Donnie
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
        Hey Mark

That's why I made this post other than sharing my experience. I was there for almost 12 hours targeting bass and the result is a single 10-11 inch bass. Caught it in that small creek/cove on the right side (looking out from shore) of the ramp. I've seen videos of a guy catching bass after bass on black/blue chatterbait. I just felt I wasn't doing something right.

Donnie
        I strongly suspect we're not alone.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I don't know if you tried it...but certainly don't ignore the outside/river-side of the wrecks. There is a nice dropoff...from a few feet between the wrecks down to 11...the real deep water, 20+ is considerably further off the wrecks. If conditions are good, low wake, slight breeze you may hook-up mallows.jpg
          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I spend about 40-50% of the time along the drop off as you indicated. Unfortunately 15-20 mph winds and poor visibility may have something to do with the poor results. That spot is also where I caught two catfish.

I plan to go back there again soon.

Donnie
            Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

This is a bucket list place for me to go kayaking to. I hear the fishing can be tuff with all the structure around, maybe the bite will pick up when the water cools off some. At least you didn't get skunked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Desert Camo- Moken 14
              Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

If it's largemouth bass you are after then arrive just at the beginning of the outgoing tide./High tide. If you see schools of minnows jumping you will have an epic day. Run a spinner baits across the top of the grass. When you were there did you see many gar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X