Turtle / Rollover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle / Rollover

I had the misfortune of turtling yesterday at the CBKA. I was in 3.5 feet of water and not much current. I had just landed a 19 incher and had in the fish grips, I was reaching back for the measuring board which I had done many times before and over I went. It was in slow motion and it’s really funny now. The 82 degree water was refreshing on a hot and humid day
    I just moved my seat to the “High” setting on the yak-It was very comfortable, but I will be adjusting it back down, the Outback is NOT the PA for stability- Lesson #1

I really felt bad because Bruce put us on a real “Honey Hole” and my Walrus butt, effectively killed the bite in that location. Bruce could have been in the running…….

Special thanks to Bruce and Rich for being there and helping me out. As always Bruce had the right words and said “If that’s the worst thing that happens to you today it’s a good day”
    Lessons Learned:

1. Always fish with someone if you can (just to clear or rudder tangles) I have had three lately

2. Tie everything down- Know what floats in your Yak- Yeti's Cups don't float ! Ching-Ching$$$ 40.00

3. De-Clutter / De-Junk your Yak

4. Practice re-entry some point in your kayak career- Had the Re-Entry Rope / Ladder in the crate behind me...DUH....

5. Leave Light weight PFD's with inflators in the "Auto-Mode" You don't have time to think about inflating if you are in deeper water. $18.00 Bucks for the re-charger kit is worth it.

6. Learn from your mistake- Don't try to do to many thing fast while holding a 19" inch Rock fish in Fish Grips- I did hold on to it thru this whole ordeal

7. Store Keys (they are electronic Now too)-Phone and wallets in dry secure area-Luckily I did on this-But my keys were in my PFD and got a little wet

8. My Columbia PFG Light weight fishing clothing was a real Bonus + my keen water shoes were nice when standing on some stumps on the bottom. They did now weigh me down, and did dry out very quickly in the heat, which allowed me to keep on fishing for the day

9. Use all safety equipment if you have it- My Rollover rope bag-was in the crate behind me and not secured

10. I stuffed my spare CO2 cartridge in my PFD in the folds...DUH... When it inflated off it went. In cleaning and putting in a new cartridge I found a "Pocket" for the spare CO2 cartridge...DUH $18.00 bucks more

Live to Fish Another Day.......

Gary-Yak67
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

I have not, yet, turned over in a kayak or even in my canoe (years ago).

I have turned over on my 3 Wheeler about 3 times in the past. Like you, it seemed like it was slow motion. I knew what was happening, I felt like there was no way to stop it, and later it reminded me of Artie Johnson on the tri-cycle on Laugh In. Just a slow motion roll over. Never got hurt either but never stopped it from happening once it started either.

I think the slow motion thing is just how your brain operates when something like that happens. Maybe your brain goes into some kind of high speed operation that doesn't seem to communicate with your muscles at the same speed.

Comment

Thank you for posting this, I'm inspired to make my own list and be ready for cold water paddling/ fishing. Have gotten a little careless with the warm weather!!
      Harlan

Revo 13
      Trident 13
      Cuda 14
      Necky Tandem

Comment

I just want it to be known that, while Gary did loose a few items, he popped up from under the boat sputtering, but he still had that fish and grips in his hands.

In all seriousness, with cold weather coming in a few short months, now is the time to get our ducks in a row. Gary's experience resulted in little more than a bruised ego and a few bucks of lost gear. Had the water been deeper or colder, or if he had been alone, the result could have been very different.

Gary, like Harlan, I appreciate your sharing your hard earned lessons. I will be fishing some big water in the near future and I know it has me re-evaluating how I secure stuff to my deck.
        - If it doesn't float, secure it
        - If it isn't waterproof, protect it.
        - If you don't need it, leave it in your car (I will be having a hard time with this one)
        - Fish with a buddy whenever you can. If you fish alone, make sure someone knows your float plan
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks for sharing. If one positive thing can come from going over, it's realizing what's actually needed and streamlining a set-up.
          I killed my phone Saturday because I didn't store it properly in-between taking photos of my insufficient fish. Generally I have a bag for it, but I was lazy and paid for it as I went out to the rock islands and hit some big chop.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Thanks for sharing this and for the advice! I got caught in a storm last year and had my first turtle. We were not fishing but doing a "Sun Set Cruise" with some neighbors and it happened so fast it was amazing. My PFD had me back on top of the water in a split second...ALWAYS WEAR IT! Your advice is very good however I would like to add something to it. Get and use a eyeglass lanyard that holds them on your head, I did loose not only the "Fit Over" Sun glasses but also my regular glasses. The I-phone life proof case was not life proof so take extra steps to protect it. Everything else was secured with tethered so that all worked out and was saved. All things considered it was a great learning experience but we need to try a re-entry for the times we are not close to shore as I was or in shallow water. Everything can be replaced ...But your life can not! BE SAFE OUT THERE!

Comment

I was wondering what happen to you Gary. We are all glad that you only turtled in shallow warm water and are ok. That is good advice to always go fishing with someone whenever possible. You had a lot of good advice for everyone on your post, and yes, thinking back at the "slow motion roll" into the water can be funny in the end

Comment

Ouch... that is a lot of lessons to learn at once. Glad you learned it in 3.5 feet of water instead of 20 feet.
                Brian

Comment

Great post for newbies and seasoned paddlers alike. Good job on holding onto the fish too.

Mike

Comment

Gary was a rolling stone
                    Wherever he flipped his yak was his home
                    But when he fished, all he left were the bones.

Happy to see the streamlined yak today.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Good story, good lessons. I've gone over twice now, once in a small rapid on the upper Potomac, once in a deep water marina in Costa Rica. Definitely happens in slow motion. I always think of the Family Guy bit with Cleveland in the bath tub .... 'No, no, no, no, noooo'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jhov02 View Post
                        Good story, good lessons. I've gone over twice now, once in a small rapid on the upper Potomac, once in a deep water marina in Costa Rica. Definitely happens in slow motion. I always think of the Family Guy bit with Cleveland in the bath tub .... 'No, no, no, no, noooo'

Lol now I'm going to think of this if and when it ever happens to me.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                        X