CBBT False Albie and a Citation Cobia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT False Albie and a Citation Cobia

In an attempt to upgrade my big red for the Hooked Up summer slam tourney I headed south to the CBBT. Typically I'll catch a few 45"-50"+ reds each fall so in theory (which never works out, haha) this shouldn't have been too hard. After launching we immediately saw birds working. Assuming they were snapper blues I wasn't in a hurry to get there. As I pedaled up to where the birds were, the "blues" exploded again; this time skying out of the water. I assumed they were Spanish and immediately got excited because that would have put me in a tight slam race with the first place boat guy (assuming I could upgrade my 41" red). I clipped the bait rig off my 3000 Stradic and put on a drone. It was immediately crushed and broke off. After putting on a steel leader (Thanks, Gary!!!!) I landed my "Spanish"; a 22" Albie. That was pretty awesome on such a small reel.

After catching some bait and getting to our destination; I had my first bull of the day pulling the kayak around. Unfortunately he broke me off on some structure after a few minutes. It was pretty slow for a bit until my guest from Pittsburg had a bull red crush his jig. The only problem was it spit the hook. He made up for it about an hour later when he came tight on what we thought was a bull red. After towing the kayak around for 15 minutes I had a suspicion of what he had. Finally, after 30 minutes my suspicions were confirmed when it surfaced...a 51.25" cobia. He's a smallie fisherman from PA, so needless to say he was stoked.

It was really really hard to release this fish. Really hard. But he swam off unharmed. I had one more red hit my jig that never came tight (rough day on the reds), but it was all good; we made some memories and experienced two unexpected catches that we won't soon forget. Man, I love September.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

What a great day. Nice work.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicely done!!

Glad to hear the Albies are on the move! I hope to find them in NY in a few of weeks.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Now that's a report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Way to go Doug!! What a great day. That Cobia looks tremendous. The Albie must have screamed some serious line off. Thanks for sharing. I'm moving to VA Eastern shore! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Hell of a day! Those reds will be haunting you till you get back down there!
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks, guys! It was a totally unexpected catching day. I'm already planning my next trip. Aaaaand now I have a new addiction in Albies. Just what I need. Lol

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Comeonfish was busy spear fishing around the island and fishing the pilings. Hopefully he'll post how he did.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                  Thanks, guys! It was a totally unexpected catching day. I'm already planning my next trip. Aaaaand now I have a new addiction in Albies. Just what I need. Lol
                  LOL! That's awesome to hear about the Albies! Always thought had to go north for them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

so jealous, what a great day, thanks for sharing!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                      LOL! That's awesome to hear about the Albies! Always thought had to go north for them.

Me too. I know the guys in the OBX find them in the fall too, but I thought it was more of an ocean front type fishery. It'd be cool to make this a regular thing. But man do they move fast. Its basically impossible to try and catch them. These just happened to pop up right beside me. A fishing miracle! lol

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                        Me too. I know the guys in the OBX find them in the fall too, but I thought it was more of an ocean front type fishery. It'd be cool to make this a regular thing. But man do they move fast. Its basically impossible to try and catch them. These just happened to pop up right beside me. A fishing miracle! lol
                        That's so awesome bro! Really happy about it for you! [emoji4]

-Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I hope I can make it down that way this fall...
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Man, what a day that looks like! Looks like I have a new goal to set!
                            Zach Bennett
                            Linthicum MD
                            2014 Hobie Outback
                            Instagram: YakinZak
                            Youtube: YakinZak
                            Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Sweet deal man... wishing I had decided to go now, haha! Maybe next time.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X