Good Marine fuse holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Marine fuse holder

Was wonder what everyone is using for a good fuse holder for their fish finders? I was using a cheap inline style one but after about 1.5 years it started failing intermittently. I see plenty of fuse holders out there but the biggest issue is that they are all setup to handle high current and have 12 or 14 gauge wire, which means I have to use solder to splice the 28 gauge power wire on the fish finder to the fuse holder. Which is something I would prefer to avoid in marine environment. Does anyone know of a good marine grade fuse holder with smaller wire so I can use a marine grade crimp connection? I would prefer AGM style fuses since I already have them but a blade type fuse is ok as well. Fuse size currently is 2.5 amps.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

On several installations I used the black rubberized fuse holder that came with my Lowrance HDS5-Gen 2 FF/GPS and used butt connectors to attach it to the red power line. I use a heavier gauge red wire between the fuse holder and spade clips for the battery. I butt-connected the black power wire to a heavier gauge wire that runs to the spade connectors. Once the butt connectors are crimped, I seal the ends with Goop or liquid electrical tape. These have held up very well for me.

012.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      On several installations I used the black rubberized fuse holder that came with my Lowrance HDS5-Gen 2 FF/GPS and used butt connectors to attach it to the red power line. I use a heavier gauge red wire between the fuse holder and spade clips for the battery. I butt-connected the black power wire to a heavier gauge wire that runs to the spade connectors. Once the butt connectors are crimped, I seal the ends with Goop or liquid electrical tape. These have held up very well for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19890[/ATTACH]
      Thanks, I never thought of using liquid electrical tape to seal the connections. The Lowrance fuse holder looks perfect, I am going to pick one up then go from there. I may try the marine grade crimp connectors as well.
      Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Mike,

Just thinking...

Another thing you might want to consider is to elevate your fuse holder from the floor of your hull if possible.

I attached my fuse inside the hull of my Revo to the sailing mast conduit with a zip tie. That has kept it off the floor and dry from any seepage I get in rough water.

This has served me well for years now:

P1020057.jpg

Good luck,
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X