FF install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF install help

I'm trying to install my new Lowrance Hook 5 and am having some display issues that hopefully someone can help out with. Attached is a picture of what my sonar is reading while in my pool. I used the duct seal transducer mount method so I am wondering if this is a setting issue? I'm not sure as this is my first fish finder. Thanks for any help!IMG_0458.JPGIMG_0457.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue with mine when installing and would only read 1ft of water. It ended up being a bad read in the seal. Try and re mold it around the transducer. It could be air bubbles or such giving bad interference.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

From your photos, it is not clear where you mounted the transducer. To work properly it should be next to the hull so that it shoots through the Duct Seal patty and the hull. If you have mounted the transducer on the floor of your boat and not inside the hull, you have air space between the transducer and the water. Also the Lowrance transducers I have used are installed with the wide end facing toward the rear. I cannot tell in which direction yours is mounted.

When using Duct Seal to seat your transducer, start with a clean plastic spot on the inside of your hull (I wipe the area with rubbing alcohol). Then make a patty of Duct Seal slightly larger than the transducer and push it into place. Try to avoid air bubbles. Set the transducer into position (again try to avoid any air bubbles) and fold the excess edges of Duct Seal around the transducer. Add a wide strip of Duct Seal across the top of the transducer to keep things in place.

One nice feature of Duct Seal is that if you do not like your initial installation, it is pretty easy to remove the transducer and patty and start over.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The transducer is mounted on the floor in front of my seat. It's a sit in kayak and that is the only spot that i thought would be a flat enough mounting surface. I do have the wide side facing the rear, however I do not have a patty underneath the trans, it's just flush with the bottom of the yak. I made a ring, put about 1/8" of water in the ring (per a few articles and youtube videos), set the transducer, and then molded the ring tight around it. Im going to pull it out and try again at halftime lol. Thanks for the tips, ill check back in with the results!

Comment

I made a ball of putty, put it on the hull where I wanted it, then pushed the transducer into the patty (deep, down to the hull) and molded it over the top. This worked for me first try.
          - Justin
          2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
          2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Update: just removed and reinstalled with putty patty bottom. Seems to be working now. Downscan is great. Sonar seems to work but doesn't like being in 3'? You can see the difference in clarity between 3 and 4'. IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0466.JPG

Comment

I also apologize for the picture quality. Not sure what is going on. The quality changes in the post

Comment

I never really understood why some people use the wet well method. The water is really not needed. The bad readings in shallow could be sensitivity adjustments? Try auto senitivity and see if that helps. You can take nice screenshots with your unit to an SD card by pressing Power and then Zoom (+).
                2013 WS Ride 135
                2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                X