Patapsco-Daniels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco-Daniels

I hit the slack water above Daniels Dam this morning.
    The river has recovered quite well from the floods of a couple of weeks ago-at least in this section well above Ellicott City.
    Most of the hydrilla beds that blew out in the flood have grown back and there are several areas where the weeds have matted up on the surface.
    The water was stained, with about 2 feet of visibility. Usually, this time of the year it is much clearer.

Today's target was Smallmouth Bass. I caught 5 up to 10" ( which is a decent sized fish for that part of the river) and one Yellow Breasted Sunfish. All on a 1/8 oz. Pop-R, which was claimed by a sycamore tree, just out of reach of my lure retriever.
    In the next couple of weeks the river will be choked with leaves, so get them while you can.

Very nice, were you in a boat or on foot? I am very interested to see what the upper river looks like, there were some logjams that I suspect are no longer there.

I almost went up there to wade last weekend, but got up late and went to Northwest branch instead.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I was in the canoe, and went about 1 1/2 mile up from the dam.
      There are a few new and rearranged sandbars and trees in the river.

Comment

Part 2 today:
        Very slow, only a couple of sunfish, the water was very stained with only 1 foot of clarity.
        Did see this display of creativity across from where Wright's Run comes in.

IMG_0281 (1).jpg

Comment

Daniels Dam area Patapsco

Bignose -

Just a bit late getting back here to post. The Patapsco has been great during the warmer weather. I was there around Labor Day weekend. The smallmouth were nothing short of awesome. First day I went expecting smaller fish, I took an ultralight rod and hooked into a 13" smallmouth. I thought I had hooked into a log, but was pleasantly surprised.

I caught numerous bluegill, redeyes (rockbass), sunfish, SMB, and one small LMB which probably made its way down from the flood since they are not normally found there.

Went back a day or two later and got this 16" beauty on a more appropriate sized rod.

DSCN1527.jpg

More pics...

DSCN1532.jpgDSCN1535.jpgDSCN1539.jpgDSCN1540.jpgDSCN1553.jpgDSCN1555.jpgDSCN1557.jpgDSCN1558.jpgDSCN1563.jpg
          Last edited by zeebyrd; 10-07-2016, 03:02 PM.
          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Wow, A 13" one is about 3" larger then the biggest I have pulled out of there. I have never tied to yak there, but it looks like I need to do it. It is one of my favorite spots to wade, as generally if I walk two miles up river, I have the place to myself.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I forgot to post that the "beauty" I mentioned was 16". The board's numbers are hard to read even though I tried going over them with a permanent marker.
              Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

That is a very nice smallmouth, but especially for the Pataspsco!
                BTW, I fish with my ultralights there all the time. I try to be a "purist" and stick with the small Pop-R.
                Looks like you were using a small crank bait?

Comment

Patapsco-Daniels

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                  That is a very nice smallmouth, but especially for the Pataspsco!
                  BTW, I fish with my ultralights there all the time. I try to be a "purist" and stick with the small Pop-R.
                  Looks like you were using a small crank bait?
                  Yes, a 1/8 oz crankbait. I can usually use the same one there all day long. I did make an offering to the tree gods, which they so graciously accepted.

There have been some really nice smallmouth there this year. I don't think I've seen them that large before. After the 16" all I could say was "wow wow wow" due to the fight and the surprise of its size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by zeebyrd; 10-07-2016, 03:35 PM.
                  Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Laura,

That 16 incher is an excellent smallmouth for the Patapsco.

It's impressive even for larger waters nearby.

I'm sure it gave you quite a tussle.

Congratulations.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Fall trout stocking is about to start, maybe next week. Streams in the Catoctin Mountains and elsewhere have gotten very low again in-spite of ~4" of rain a week or more ago. So maybe some of the bigger creeks and rivers may get a few more trout because the smaller streams might be too low to stock. Stocking updates can be found in the MD-DNR site.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/Fisheries/Pa...reational.aspx
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

The Daniel's area on the Patapsco was stocked with trout yesterday, September 18. I don't know if any were stocked immediately above Daniels Dam, but below the dam should be good for stocked trout.
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Wow, that 16'er is a monster for that area. I grew up fishing there in a canoe with my uncle, and now fish it a couple times of year with my cousin in our kayaks.
                          He landed a 16'er there last spring on a PB&J jig.
                          Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
                          Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Comment

Working...
                          X