ESVA Bull Reds 8/27/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESVA Bull Reds 8/27/16

On Saturday night, SlobberBob, Jhoss, and myself pedaled/paddled out of a bayside creek on the ESVA with big red drum on the hit list. The tidal coefficient was only 61 (about average), but 4 miles off the shore, in a 10kt opposing wind, in 25 FOW, we couldn't hold anchor. This has happened before and makes for a tough trip. Around dusk the current began to slow and we finally held. Finally, around 7:45, the boat behind us hooks up to a bull, and then another (they had 5 or six in total). After a few "are you kidding me" minutes, I hook up to a solid 41" male. Soon after Brian (SlobberBob) hooks up to a solid upper 40's red, followed by John (Jhoss) quickly following the act. After I released my 1st red, got re-rigged (he made a mess of my other lines), I dropped a chunk of croaker down. It sat for about 2 minutes before another 48"er grabbed it. This fish was a fighter on a 4000 size reel; while staying on anchor. The wind picked up to 12-15 kts and in the pitch darkness, this was a sketchy fight from the kayak. She would pull me one way and a wave would hit from another. I just kept focusing on keeping my body in the center of the seat and the fish in front as much as possible. We ended up with five total. The pictures are kind of rough, but its all we could do given the conditions. Ill let Brian and John add their pictures and tell their stories. It was a great night!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Wow! Really sorry I had to miss this one, but with the wife out of town, had to dog sit. That is a chunky fish Doug! Good stuff buddy! Congratulations to everyone! Brian, it sounds like you were on your A game again, and I am sure that the conditions had you grinning from ear to ear lol. John, it was a pleasure meeting up with you in the morning, glad you found some nice bait at the place I suggested you head to. I heard that this might be your first bull, and in those extreme conditions what a gratifying way to do it, a lifetime memory for sure!

Comment

Big fish!! Nice going gents
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Good time as always! The appetite for bull reds on the kayak doesn't seem to fade. I'm just glad my wife was able to get home from work in time to release me from daycare duties so I could go! Gary - I've certainly anchored up in worse before But it was still a little choppy out there with the opposing wind and tide giving you a few wobbly feeling moments.

Yea, when I saw the boat closest to us hook twice, then Doug hook up, I mentioned to John that we might want to bump over if we don't get a bite in a few minutes. Well, it didn't take long and a few fish found John and I. I got two back to back and that was it for me. One on a kingfish head, the other on a croaker head. Soaked some cobb mullet too but the blues made quick work of them. Also soaked a few bluefish heads but no love there this night. Sharks weren't as bad as previous trips I've done. I only caught 3 little 3 footers, a really tiny footlong one, and hooked into one decent sized shark that was ripping drag before it bit through the hook leader.

One the way back in we ran across several schools of little 6" ballyhoo's closer to shore. I've always thought of ballyhoos as an ocean fish, but I saw them in the spring too when cobia fishing further up the bay. Too small to really use for bait, just something I thought was interesting...

This one left me a little parting gift on my kayak. A sure sign that love is in the water at the bottom of the bay!
        Brian

Comment

I had sooo much "love" on my kayak when I got home.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Those fish are awesome. What a blast it must be to catch them in a kayak. Thanks for the report, I'm drooling but not like the fish.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Holy cow that's amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job guys! The thrill of my last bull catch has worn off....so I need another fix. Thanks for the report, and creating bull envy.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I caught their little brother two weeks ago and was impressed! I can't imagine one of those 48"inch monsters

Great work guys and nice post!!!

Yak67
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Excellent! The wind forecast kept me closer to home this weekend and now I just get to drown in my envy! One of these days...

Comment

Bull Reds are on my bucket list of fish, one day I will make some time to get down that way for them. Good
                      Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Those are some very, very nice fish. Nice job, gentlemen!
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Gorgeous fish Gents! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

NICE!!! Great going!

Comment

Awesome fish,but gotta say, you earned it. Night fishing in a good wind, snotty chop, boats around, catching sharks=ballsy.
                              Jay

10' Green Slayer
                              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
                              X