Jonas Green State park 09/03/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green State park 09/03/2016

Okay so I am going to launch from Jonas Green this Saturday morning. This will be my first time on the bay in a kayak and thus the issue. I fish the upper Potomac BUT I really want to get on the bay and do some fishing. I just have no clue on how. So if anyone is going out Saturday and does not mind sharing some info and/or having me tag along, send me a PM. I am open to any kind of fishing.
    2017 Hobie PA14

What are you looking to catch?
    White perch are an easy target around the docks, use basic crappie baits.
    Heading out into the bay you'll probably want half to one ounce jigs with 4-6" paddle tails or jerk baits for rockfish or blues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just looking to get out on the bay. Never fished for perch before. I've trolled for rock but that was always in a 32' Judge and I played first mate. I'm just trying to see whom all is going out this Saturday and if they want a buddy. So I'm open to whatever.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

So what type of rod action and line weight should I use for white perch???
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I'd be interested in joining you, however I cant help in the experience department. River fisher here as well. I have fished for white perch. Discovered I needed to use an ultralight rod with 4-6lb test to detect the bites and to be able throw a small spinner with any distance.

Comment

2500 spinning reels with 10-15 # braid or mono on medium 7 foot rods will work for just about everything- i like 1/4 oz. Sea assasins in white, chartreuse, and natural shad colors for trolling along with xrap xr-8 in menhaden color or blue/silver...if i am exclusively targeting white perch- i go ul spinning tackle and like spinners and small SWIM shads best
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Well, I'll be there at 0530 in the water by 0600 so come on out. I believe Fishmoken will also be there. He said the white perch was good around the docks. I'm coming prepared for both rock and perch. High tide peaks at around 0720 for the Annapolis area.
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                So what type of rod action and line weight should I use for white perch???
                I use a 7' light rod with 6# test, 1/8 jigs with twister tails, beetle spins or roadrunners

Comment

I'm lite on the experience portion as well, but i'd love to get out and see what's biting
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I describe my fishing tackle and techniques for perch and pickerel casting and striper trolling in the Severn in my book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone". The way I do things is certainly not the only way to catch those fish, and may not be the way you like best. But those methods are quite effective for me.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One thing you want is a rig so you can cast some distance with lightweight lures.
                      Adding a small drop shot will help.
                      While 4lb to 8lb test is great... the lighter weights will break easily if you get a snag on a twig or branch...
                      You'll just have to find your comfort zone.. mine is about 10lb... el'cheapo mono....

Look for shady areas under trees. The thing with docks is there are grass shrimp and minnows.
                      Quite honestly.... I not had much luck around docks... but I guess that's just me.

Look for rip rap in shady areas... and often it doesn't matter if you are in the shade or not.

Bettle Spinners with the the el'cheapo pink or chartreuse "salt tubes"... look like little bullets with hairy tails.
                      And an 1/8 or more jig head.

Work diffent depths... you'll probably see splashes on a depth where the fish are hanging out.

Cast parrallel to rip rips... shallow then deeper....
                      Cast into under hanging trees.. then work deeper.

If one side of the shore line isn't working go to the other....
                      If you are on the Seven... well there is a lot of brackish water....
                      But don't be fooled... there are tons of perch in more salinity in places like the Bay Bridge and others.
                      Personally... I prefer a fish not in brackish water.

Go out... explore... make your own path to catch fish.

And as many locals have stated to me...
                      "Ain't none better than a perch..." for dinner !

Coming Soon !!!!
                      Author: "Heavy Tackle Rigging for Perch with 10foot Surf Rods, 50lb Test Line, and 6oz Drop Shots."
                      Author: "Rigging Planner Boards For Perch."

......available soon at Brains and Gooble

Comment

A few quick tips for any new angler- check your drag to make sure it is correctly set so you are not locked- easy way to lose a fish...have sharp hooks...to set the best trolling speed drop your lure a few feet from the rod tip and observe the lure action to determine what speed works the lure the best- then try to maintain this speed (it is really easy to do if you have a GPS/FF combo that tells you your speed) but no matter what you do if the fish are not there it doesn't matter- Early mornings when the sun is just starting to come up is prime time for fishing- same with the magic hour before dark- watch the tides- slack water is usually poor fishing- moving water is best- look for structure- rip raps, points, humps, breakwaters- fishing the edges of these structures, especially with current moving water around them, produce fish- same with bridge pilings and islands- if you see water flowing look for the eddies and bring your lures through there- and breaking fish and wheeling birds- always a sign of feeding fish...if the lure is not producing, swap it out for a different color or one that suits the depth of water you are fishing- a week ago I caught all my fish in less than 3 feet of water...shallow running lures are a necessity in this water- I went with 1/8 oz jigheads in the shallower waters-

top water- poppers and stick baits- learn how to "walk the dog" on stick baits like the Zara Spook and Top Dog...Chuggers and poppers are pretty easy- you just reel the slack out of the line and sharply lift the rod causing the popper to chug and make a commotion on the water...repeat until the lure is back to the boat...and count to two before setting the hook on top water strikes- not when the fish blows up the bait- you will pull the hook away from it...don't get discouraged- it is called fishing; not catching for a reason...
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Well they are calling for 90% chance of rain this Saturday and Sunday. Also wind gust up to 25mph and sustainable wind of 15mph. However Monday looks real good. Think I will go out on Monday instead. So who's in??
                          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                            Well they are calling for 90% chance of rain this Saturday and Sunday. Also wind gust up to 25mph and sustainable wind of 15mph. However Monday looks real good. Think I will go out on Monday instead. So who's in??
                            If I don't go out to the upper Potomac I will be interested.

Comment

I'm going there on Saturday instead of the bay. Torn between going to dam 4 or lock 29 (Lander). I never been to Lander, however been told it's suppose to be good SM fishing.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                              X