Lesson in humility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson in humility

I took a little time to fish Weems Creek.
    For the past several months, I've done well there, nothing spectacular, but steady and consistent.
    Today, I was two fish from a skunk. The "old reliable" locations just didn't produce. Two hours and I had enough.
    The water was darkly colored with maybe a foot of visibility. It was mirror calm for most of the time I was there.
    I didn't see much of the usual bait balls, either.

Ah…..the vagaries of fishing.

I'm sure you tried the shady areas. That is very odd, Weems has been producing lately. Maybe the water temps?
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

The heat?
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Stu -

Sorry you had an off day. Mark and I fished there on Wed afternoon and struggled to find a few fish over 2.5 hours. As I was heading back in, I tried one more "secret" spot and found perch lurking there. I caught a bunch of them on almost every cast for a few minutes. Go figure. We saw EMSer at the ramp -- he found a motherlode of perch all in one area too.

I don't know why the fish were abundant in those two spots but not in all the other usual places.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I launched at Tucker yesterday and was only able to find fish under one dock. The regular spots were thin but a dock I usually don't do well at was stacked high with fat perch. I anchored at the edge of it, cast deep under the deck and kept pulling out fish after fish. I caught between 25 - 30 in an hour and a half.....

I am not sure why they were concentrated as they were, but I wasn't complaining!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

There's a channel marker, forget which number, along the opposite bank from Jonas Green, along a rocky shoreline. Every time i troll through there i always catch a bunch of small stripers and also it's stacked with perch too. if the currents not too bad you can drift through and get them, i caught a few trolling slowly through there, it gets very shallow though. most of the fish i've gotten around that marker were in less than 4 ft of water, sometimes 2 feet.

Comment

Working...
            X