Terrapin Park launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrapin Park launch

I was thinking about a trip one day next week launching out of Terrapin Park to try the Southern span of the Bay Bridge and the edges of the channels- First time there- Any advice or words of wisdom about the access and distance from the parking area to the beach launch?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...light=terrapin

Make sure you have a cart. Its a bit of a walk and a bit of a paddle to the bridge. Make sure to check the sewer line out on your way.

Comment

It is a significant haul to get your boat to the launch - almost a 1/2 mile. The path is easy, but wheels are a must. I used 2 carts the last time I launched for there.

Once there, it provides excellent access to the bridge and the sewer pipe. Love Point is also in range if you decide to go that way. Just be sure to get out by dusk. They lock the gate and notify the police if your car is still in the lot. I learned the hard way....
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Its a great little place...but it is a haul!- Your arm and shoulder will be aching and you will have to put your kayak down a few times on the way. Once you reach the beach...the sand is deep and very soft. Very tiring. Its a decent paddle to the bridge as well- You will see some crab pots along the way. There is a permanent post/ marker about 1/2 way to the bridge. This is just north of the sewer pipe discharge. All good fishing in this area. Leave a lot of energy to paddle back to the beach- hike up the sandy bank and then get your yak back on the cart...and then 1/2 mile trek back to the car!- I have found its not worth it ....vs Sandy point. I would rather paddle the length of the bridge than come in at Terrapin.- If you are there very early, it would be very attempting to drive your yak to the beach...but would be frowned upon. But...to each his own. (I have a mirage drive Hobie)- (PS- there will be some folks picnicking and fishing from the beach- looks like they bring their families there to hang out/ bottom fish)-

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        It is a significant haul to get your boat to the launch - almost a 1/2 mile. The path is easy, but wheels are a must. I used 2 carts the last time I launched for there.

Once there, it provides excellent access to the bridge and the sewer pipe. Love Point is also in range if you decide to go that way. Just be sure to get out by dusk. They lock the gate and notify the police if your car is still in the lot. I learned the hard way....

Comment

Ron -

For what its worth, I checked out the sewer pipe and a few pilings this morning in my center console and found no marks on the FF and had no bites. With one exception in July, those areas have not produced for me this summer. As the water cools, they should become more productive.

Prior to fishing in those spots, I launched from Sandy Pt and ran south to about the mouth of the Severn, then across to the Eastern Shore side. I saw more than ten groups of working birds and active fish. They were not hard to find or catch, but they were all less than 14". I even tried jigging beneath and around the edges of the breakers and caught fish of exactly the same size. It is certainly easier to chase breakers in a boat than in a kayak.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you are goint to do it Ron, the earlier the better, at the moment.

Comment

The heat and humidity are pretty bad this week- looks like it is going to be with us for a while, too- gotta wait on my cart to be delivered- USPS says between 8/29 and 9/1...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X