Which is it: 2nd or 4th week of October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is it: 2nd or 4th week of October

My two girls that are still left at home, have available the following dates:

- Saturday Oct 15th to Monday October 17th.

*And*

- Friday Oct 27th to Sunday Oct 29th.

I plan on taking my family (wife, me, two kids) to OC and Assateague: for 4x4 fishing on the beach and fishing in the inlet.

I was thinking that the OCT 15-17 dates are best because there might be some small blues left in the surf, and maybe some sheepshead in the inlet. Also, maybe the Tog will be in by then???

What do you guys think????

Also, we are talking about 13 and 15 year old girls, so catching any keeper is good. So, I was thinking fishing with Cutbait, and BW on the beach, and sandfleas in the inlet??

What do you guys think???

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

I'd go with the Oct. 15 - 17 dates myself.

Kingfish and snapper blues up to 20" should still be thick in the surf. #2 Mutu Light Circle hooks on a hi-lo with little mullet or spot chunks or fishbites bloodworm will put them on the beach for you. Sometimes that time of year you can't keep them off the hook! There is still a chance at a bull red off the southern end of the OSV on Assateague then too. But that is usually when the run is fizzling out. If any puppy drum show up this year, they'll stick around well into the fall in the surf.

Early October you certainly still have a shot at sheepshead, but like bull reds, it's about the time of year the bite is starting to fizzle out. But that isn't all bad, it just means that tog is starting to get better! I'm sure there will be stripers, blues, and shad in the inlet still too.

The end of October dates aren't the best for the surf. Bull reds are gone and not many striper have shown up yet. Although, not many striper have shown up in the surf off OC and Assateague in any great number in a few years now though. Blues should still be cruising the surf. In the inlet, tog should be getting better along with stripers and blues.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
      I'd go with the Oct. 15 - 17 dates myself.
      Bob,
      That is exactly what I was looking for. I just made the reservation for October 15-17. Thanks so much!

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Sand fleas on a high low rig in the surf are excellant puppy drum and sea mullet (Northen Kingfish) bait- tossing six or eight inch Tsunami sand eels in the surf at dusk and daylight can be rewarding, too...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

No problem. I hope you and the family enjoy yourself and get into some fish!
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X