Pocket Parks Annapolis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Parks Annapolis.

Does anyone ever use any of the pocket parks in the Annapolis are. I'm looking to get out on the bay/Severn this weekend and interested in using them. Looking for any info you guys have on them. I live about a hour and a half plus from the bay. So any info would be great. Thanks
    2017 Hobie PA14

Jonas Green State Park is a go to for a lot of the kayak anglers on here. From trolling small paddle tails or hard baits in the shallows >12ft for striped bass, to tossing small spinner baits and crappie jigs for white perch under the many docks in the area. This is a vast place with a decent amount of boat traffic going in and out of the bay. Usually the boat traffic picks up after 10 to 11am, and would advise staying away from the channel during this time. Also it is a car top launch only so no trailers. Parking is ample as long as you are there at a decent time. Same as the boat traffic the lot will fill up around 10-11am. From the lot to the water is around 50 yards or so. I've only had 1 outing here where I've been skunked. A fish finder will help locate baitfish...the stripers have been around the schools. I have found casting at them has been a waste of time and have had more hookups trolling around the edges of the bait balls. Best of luck! Tight lines!

(Also I may end up going to the Severn this weekend as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Jonas Green is considered a pocket park.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Maryland.html

It's a great place to launch.

Many folks on this forum use it.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Jonas Green is considered a pocket park.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Maryland.html

Despite what Trip Advisor may call it, Jonas Green is not a pocket park. It is a great point of access to the Severn with a decent amount of parking. I launch kayaks there often. When I think of a "pocket park" I think of a small space tucked in among other things. The City of Annapolis has many streets that dead-end at the waters of Spa Creek, Weems Creek, and Back Creek. A few of these (e.g., Tucker St) have an actual boat ramp and some parking. Most of the Annapolis pocket parks are simply bulkheads, beaches, or grassy slopes that are adjacent to the water. While it is true that the public gets water access, the devil is in the details. Parking is often difficult to find in these predominantly residential areas. If you are successful in finding parking, you need to watch the signs that limit parking to two hours on many streets.

Here is a link to the Annapolis Recreation and Parks list of parks. http://www.annapolis.gov/docs/defaul...s.pdf?sfvrsn=4

You can scan down the kayak launch column to find potential spots. You may also be adventurous and try one of the true end-of-street pocket parks.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Amos Garret in Annapolis must be a typ0, 101 Spa View Ave is a residential house, maybe is 111? Barbara Neustadt park is right around the corner though.

You're right, parking for extended period looks to be the challenge!
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

+1
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I'd be in for a Jonas Green SnaggedLine get together!
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                I'd be in for a Jonas Green SnaggedLine get together!

The December meet and greet is usually held there with lunch at Red Hot and Blue afterwards.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  The December meet and greet is usually held there with lunch at Red Hot and Blue afterwards.
                  A few photos from last year's December M&G at Jonas Green:

A.jpg B.JPG C.jpg E.JPG H.jpg I.jpg J.jpg

Can't beat the corn chowder at the Red Hot and Blue after brisk day on the water.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

There is a park just off Edgewood Rd. I think it is called Ellen Moyer Park. It is just past the first group of marine businesses. It is on the left going north on Edgewood. The park puts you out onto Back Creek within easy paddle or peddle of the mouth of the creek and the mouth of the Severn. I have not used it myself, but others I have talked to say it is pretty good. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      There is a park just off Edgewood Rd. I think it is called Ellen Moyer Park. It is just past the first group of marine businesses. It is on the left going north on Edgewood. The park puts you out onto Back Creek within easy paddle or peddle of the mouth of the creek and the mouth of the Severn. I have not used it myself, but others I have talked to say it is pretty good. Good Luck.
                      I use the Ellen Moyer water park (aka Back Creek Nature Park) several times a year. It is closest public launch point to the mouth of the Severn. As Dogfish noted, drive back Edgewood Rd until the far end of Bert Jabin's yacht yard (immediately after the chainlink fence ends). There is a small gravel parking lot. You have a 50-yd level drag to the water. The facility has a sloped plastic-coated ramp for sliding cartop boats into the water.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Okay so I am going to launch from Jonas Green State park on Saturday morning the 09/03/2016. The only problem is that I have never been on the bay in a kayak. I river fish the Potomac. So is anyone going out this Saturday and not mind a tag along send me a PM. I'm up for any kind of fishing.
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                        X